HELP! Very Injured Duck . . . opinions needed.

@Louise Waffles

Here is more about it, sold as duoderm. There are some pretty pricey, but not $500 pricey. It seems it would protect the bone from drying out and keeping the wound clean, maybe even without having to change dressing so much?

Pennchlor64 is a good broad spectrum oral antibiotic per my vet, but I don't know if it's good enough for wound care...It's only one of a few antibiotics I've used, and when they carried them, my feed store just didn't have the biggest selection.

Last edited:
Okay . . . so . . .

Fish and Wildlife could not help. There is only ONE vet in the town I live in that will do anything. Every visit is $60 just to walk in the door.

IF they can get the wound put together, there's no guarantee that the flesh will "adhere to the bone again." The procedures to get him put back together would be $500 minimum and there will most likely be complications based on the wound. The recommendation from my favorite farm girl and from the clinic is that the most humane thing would be to put our duck baby down. :(

Heartbroken, but very thankful for all of your suggestions and feedback! I had hope until just a few minutes ago. Still can't believe the outcome and don't want to.

Okay . . . so . . . 

Fish and Wildlife could not help.  There is only ONE vet in the town I live in that will do anything.  Every visit is $60 just to walk in the door.

IF they can get the wound put together, there's no guarantee that the flesh will "adhere to the bone again."  The procedures to get him put back together would be $500 minimum and there will most likely be complications based on the wound.  The recommendation from my favorite farm girl and from the clinic is that the most humane thing would be to put our duck baby down.  :(

Heartbroken, but very thankful for all of your suggestions and feedback!  I had hope until just a few minutes ago.  Still can't believe the outcome and don't want to.

I'm so sorry. I had hoped there would be a way to patch up your sweet friend. Sending lots of love and hugs, I know it's not an easy thing to do, but the kindest. ♡

Okay . . . so . . .

Fish and Wildlife could not help. There is only ONE vet in the town I live in that will do anything. Every visit is $60 just to walk in the door.

IF they can get the wound put together, there's no guarantee that the flesh will "adhere to the bone again." The procedures to get him put back together would be $500 minimum and there will most likely be complications based on the wound. The recommendation from my favorite farm girl and from the clinic is that the most humane thing would be to put our duck baby down. :(

Heartbroken, but very thankful for all of your suggestions and feedback! I had hope until just a few minutes ago. Still can't believe the outcome and don't want to.
I am so very sorry.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom