Hanging Cabbage?

mylilchix

Songster
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
Front Range, Colorado
I know this is probably a dump question, BUT how do you hang a cabbage for chickens? I want to hang one off of the roof of our coop, but I'm not sure how.

Thanks for you help,
Sonja

You have to build a gallows and either put a trap door in it or push the cabbage off of it
big_smile.png

Just kidding maybe someone else will answer

my neighbor has a field of cabbage and I traded him a couple palms for grazing rights, I get 2 heads a day, never have hung it though, I just chop it coarse and toss it in the run, the gobble it up like crazy!! they have not started laying yet, need another 2 weeeks or so till I anticipate eggs, 1 dominque rooster and 14 sussex hens, will polish 2 large heads of cabbage off in a day.

I feed cabbage all the time and to hang it I push a stiff wire all the way through the core and then make a small bend in the end of it. I then hang it inside the coop about 12" off the floor. 19 hens can eat a large head in about 3 hours. They sure like it. Gives then a good source of green roughage in winter.

I take a screwdriver and put a hole through the core and the put a string through the head and hang it.

Back
Top Bottom