Euthanasia with Dry Ice

uniqueblacksheep

Chirping
May 29, 2018
First off, if you are going to judge or shame me...please don't even respond. I love my girls and I am trying to figure the correct procedure for dry ice euthanasia. The axe is not for me and I know there are mixed beliefs about any option for ending pain. I do not judge anyone on their choice of euthanasia and just want helpful advice from someone with experience. One of my girls was attacked by a hawk today and she will not make it through this and I cannot watch her suffer.

After tears for a few hours I have purchased some dry ice and just want some guidance for anyone who has done this. Do you put holes in the Rubbermaid container...do I add water to the dry ice. I think I understand you just put the dry ice in without water and make sure the hen cannot touch it to burn herself and put the lid on. I have read a few posts and articles, but want to make sure I have this right. Thank you for your help.

Dry ice is heavier than air. Place chicken in sealed container suspend dry ice over her. Cover container so air movement doesn’t provide oxygen and prolong things. Use plenty of dry ice. Don’t place directly on bird. It will burn them.

This will not be a fast process. If I remember science class, it took 30 minutes for the oxygen level at the bottom of a bucket to reach fatal levels.

Yeah, I'm thinking this is asphyxiation and it's not going to be fast and will be stressful. I've got asthma. I know what it feels like not to be able to breathe.

I had to put down a rooster too. It was awful. But we sharpened a pair of garden loppers -- no pruning shizz; it's gotta be something that will handle a 2-3" branch. I held my roo. My husband did the deed.

It was distressing for all of us but for Maurice at least it was quick.

Yeah, I'm thinking this is asphyxiation and it's not going to be fast and will be stressful. I've got asthma. I know what it feels like not to be able to breathe.

I had to put down a rooster too. It was awful. But we sharpened a pair of garden loppers -- no pruning shizz; it's gotta be something that will handle a 2-3" branch. I held my roo. My husband did the deed.

It was distressing for all of us but for Maurice at least it was quick.

Not to be rude or mean or anything, but I agree with @IamRainey. This method does not sound very quick and easy to me. I'm very sorry about your hen. :hugs If you can't handle using an ax, just have someone else do it for you. Think about it this way: It's what is best for the chicken, not you.

Using the dry ice method might be easy and good for you, but for the chicken it is stressful, terrifying, and then she can't breath.

Using an ax might be stressful for you, but the chicken will be dead in less than a second and won't feel stress and pain.

You can use the dry ice you want, she's your chicken. But I just wanted to let you know about this. You might rest easier after she is gone, knowing she had a stress-free death.

Back
Top Bottom