Euthanasia with Dry Ice

@uniqueblacksheep - I'm very sorry that you have to go through this. I know it must be hard. :hugs I know that I might have sounded rude in my other posts, but I just want to let you know that I'm trying to help. Good luck and I hope everything goes well.
@cluckmecoop7 I understand. People feel passionately one way or the other about this. I also just wanted what was least stressful for her. I never did it as I just couldn't. You were just concerned it might not be the best way. I appreciate that you have a kind heart.

@electryc Thank you so very much for this. I took her out and held her crying for 2 hours. I never did it. I'm waiting for my husband to come home. He might have this in the garage and this sounds like a better way.
I am very sorry. :hugs. Warning, most automotive ethers don't contain that much ether, so this might not be the most humane way either.

I am very sorry. :hugs. Warning, most automotive ethers don't contain that much ether, so this might not be the most humane way either.
I was actually very curious as to how quickly it would work. I used a very clear tote that was about boot sized. And I'd have to guess-timate that the hen went from a slight gurgling breathing to sleep/stopped breathing within a minute, 2 tops. As the chest cavity was actually responding quickly to it. I also pre-saturated the rolled up washcloth-pillow so the area was a litteral fog in the vapor. I even taped the tote shut to hold in the vapors longer and left it in there for over an hour.... Just to be safe.

When I checked on her, rigor mortis had already well estaished and she was litterally in the same position, no expanded limbs at all.

FWIW I used an entire can just to be certain.

Thank you all who responded. Thank you @electrycmonk for the Ether post. I have to agree that it seemed very fast and peaceful. I took Merriwhether off her perch at night. She was calm when I put her in the container. My husband dealt with the rest, but she never struggled or anything. She always had the sweetest voice...I loved hearing her talk more than any other hen in my flock...and she talked to me a little as I carried her from her perch. I will miss her sweet songs. I am so thankful for everyone who gave positive and supportive advice..I don't know that I am cut out for chicken keeping after this though....

I was actually very curious as to how quickly it would work. I used a very clear tote that was about boot sized. And I'd have to guess-timate that the hen went from a slight gurgling breathing to sleep/stopped breathing within a minute, 2 tops. As the chest cavity was actually responding quickly to it. I also pre-saturated the rolled up washcloth-pillow so the area was a litteral fog in the vapor. I even taped the tote shut to hold in the vapors longer and left it in there for over an hour.... Just to be safe.

When I checked on her, rigor mortis had already well estaished and she was litterally in the same position, no expanded limbs at all.
@electrycmonk I agree. I wish I would have known that before all of this. Thank you so so much. This day has been so traumatizing. I'm so happy she didn't go scared...

Thank you all who responded. Thank you @electrycmonk for the Ether post. I have to agree that it seemed very fast and peaceful. I took Merriwhether off her perch at night. She was calm when I put her in the container. My husband dealt with the rest, but she never struggled or anything. She always had the sweetest voice...I loved hearing her talk more than any other hen in my flock...and she talked to me a little as I carried her from her perch. I will miss her sweet songs. I am so thankful for everyone who gave positive and supportive advice..I don't know that I am cut out for chicken keeping after this though....
:hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs This post is making me cry. You have done amazing with your sweet, sweet girl in finding the best way to give her a peaceful passing. Her last memories are of you, and I'm sure she's having a wonderful time free of injuries up in chicken heaven. :hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

Back
Top Bottom