drowning question

Quote:
The first day they could drown or get in the water & become sick & die.

I've never had it happen in 50+ years of raising chicks so I don't think I'm going to start putting rocks in the waterers now.

Quote:

I've never had it happen in 50+ years of raising chicks so I don't think I'm going to start putting rocks in the waterers now.

X2 (only 40+ for me though)
I have enough frustration with just keeping the waterers clean without dealing with rocks or marbles too. Wouldn't those get slimy after a few days in the water?
hu.gif

Quote:

X2 (only 40+ for me though)
I have enough frustration with just keeping the waterers clean without dealing with rocks or marbles too. Wouldn't those get slimy after a few days in the water?
hu.gif

I think they'd only add to the mess too!

I use glass stones that I picked up at the $ store. I have a mason jar quail waterer, not as deep as a chick waterer. When I change the water, I just wash the stones when I was the waterer, only takes a quick minute with hot water and a touch of vinegar.

Katy, I think your right... it adds to the mess. But after this week I think I'll be safe.
BTW... Your birds are stunning
ep.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

My very first hatch I had one fall in the water .

If you use nipple waterers or cups, you don't even have to worry about it and they are alot easier to manage. That is my suggestion so you don't have to worry about removing and cleaning rocks/marbles

62744_100_6899.jpg

Last edited:
I just lost my Delaware, Fluffy, by drowning about an hour ago.
sad.png
She was almost two weeks old. She was a little smaller than the rest. She fell asleep in her food last night. I'm not sure what happened in the waterer. I am new to this and this is a little discouraging.

I think it is okay to take the rocks out after a couple days. I had never used rocks before until I hatched my own chicks. I took a chick out the incubator before it was 100% coordinated and put him in the brooder with his older siblings. Later I came back and it was drowned in the water. I think with chicks you get from a hatchery or feed store are already older and stronger so you wouldn't have to worry about adding rocks or marbles. I just keep marbles in my waterer until I see all the chicks running around and eating and sleeping good, usually 3-4 days.

Back
Top Bottom