Does my duckling looked shrink wrapped

Hudsonsgirl

Chirping
Jun 29, 2023
East Tennessee
This is day 30. It internally pipped Saturday and never externally pipped. I didn't see movement or ever hear chirping. I made a safety hole Sunday and still didn't see movement but I did hear very faint chirps, but the duckling sounded weak.
I opened the cap a little to investigate and found it like this.
It appears to be in the correct position, and I noticed it chewing, so assuming it is absorbing the yolk. You can see its pink little tongue.
My question though is it seems like the membrane is restricting much movement. My humidity has been love to mid 60s at best most of the incubation as its a homemade incubator. I've been keeping the membrane moist with coconut oil and being careful to avoid its nostrils.
Does this duckling appear close to hatch to you? Does it require more assistance? When should I help it anymore by getting the membrane away from its face?
IMG_20240422_121836896.jpg

If you wet the membrane with a bit of Vaseline (I’ve heard some people use coconut oil), do you see veins? Can you take another picture showing what the membrane look like when it’s wet? If you don’t see any veins, then it’s pretty close to hatching and you can carefully remove more shell. If you see veins, stop and wait another hour or so. I don’t see veins in your pictures but I’m not sure.

For reference, here is a pic of a duckling I assisted. In this first picture, there were still many veins and the duckling wasn’t ready.
20DBF598-F030-4531-864C-218EC2BC9DBB.jpeg

This picture was taken 12 hours later. You can see that the veins have receded and the membrane is almost clear. 1 hour after this picture, I removed a bit more shell and then the duckling was able to crawl out of the shell. The duckling survived and is doing well
0285B6AC-A3C5-4252-AAF5-D60AFB33E819.jpeg

Today the veins in the egg are barely there...thread like, and the duckling wiggled its way out of the shell. BUT, it is still attached to the umbilical cord and a small amount of yolk is still attached to it. I was surprised to see this as the duckling was on day 31 today. Is this normal?

I wasn't 100% sure what to do... I put her on a paper towel and set her, shell and all in a container so she wouldn't have so much room to kick around. And she's of course in the incubator. I am worried she will kick her umbilical cord off and bleed out or die because her yolk sac isn't fully absorbed.

Do you have any suggestions?

It sounds like you are doing everything right. Fingers crossed it will absorb the yolk and be ok. It is not normal to have unabsorbed yolk, but it can happen and frequently the babies survive.

I wonder if your incubation temperature was too low?

It sounds like you are doing everything right. Fingers crossed it will absorb the yolk and be ok. It is not normal to have unabsorbed yolk, but it can happen and frequently the babies survive.

I wonder if your incubation temperature was too low?
That's possible! I had to create my own incubator last minute with a cardboard box. The thermometer I started out with wasn't super accurate.
Will she disconnect herself from the shell when the yolk is done and the cord is dried up?

Can you post a picture of what the duckling’s belly button area looks like? It should detach from the shell although it might get stuck if there is some dry gunk
Is your duckling a Muscovy?

Update. She did great! The cord dried up enough and we cut it. She's a spark plug and oh my goodness her awareness is amazing.

The next egg that hatched was a Peking and it also required assistance. Its head was far back in the shell and couldn't get it past the membrane without us chipping away more shell. Unfortunately, it has a neck issue...maybe wry neck. It has a head tilt and can walk but tips over fairly easily. Reminds me of a really drunk person. It eats and drinks okay, just has a hard time not falling over. She can move her head in any position and cleans herself just fine. Its the walking...like her head tilt makes her dizzy. I added vitamin b complex to her water and added a pinch of sugar. She was hatched yesterday evening. We keep hoping she will get stronger but I can't help but wonder how long we should give her to get better before having to make the difficult decision to cull if needed. Would we give her a week from now? Two weeks? Oh and we can't put her in with the duckling that hatched before her because it keeps pecking at her. Makes me think the older duckling knows something isn't right about it. Any advice? Maybe a neck collar made from bubble wrap?
IMG_20240424_113651353_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom