Great hatch, except for 3 who were shrink wrapped!?!?

chloemae

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2014
PA
Hi Everyone, I am always worried about my hatches, I love my babies so much. I monitor temp/humidity closely, esp as I had recently been having issues with shrink wrap prior in my old Brinsea Eco Minis. I just had 2 successful big hatches via a new incubator which I love (Maticoopx) including serama eggs from the west coast (shipped to the east coast, in a bad storm :)) and showgirls from the mid-west that were shipped.

Today, about now, is the end day 22. I had 5 of 8 hatch perfect on day 21-22. One was just barely wrapped and had pipped but she easily hatched when I loosened her membrane. The other 2 had what appeared to be bad shrink wrap. They had not pipped and were positioned well but their yolk sacs were still very large. They were deceased when I opened the eggs.

I did not open the incubator at all until I was ready to check the status of the remaining eggs. My incubator counts down and auto turns. At lockdown, humidity never dropped below 63% (prior to hatching, did increase to 70+ when chicks arriving). Any ideas if I did something wrong? Temp was steady at 99.5. I am aware the incubator placement may play into hatch, but I positioned all eggs together in the center. Any ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated-thank you in advance 😊

My first incubation I was cheap and didn't listen to everyone on here.... I didn't go buy extra hydrometer and temperature gauge. And boy should I have! I started with 60 quail eggs and only 12 hatched. Lots I had to help because they were shrink wrapped. After days of watching the incubator my husband brought home the gages and temp was on but humidity was 20 off! I dehydrated these eggs. I still feel bad 😔 ashamed I didn't listen to everyone! I also had to calibrate the new hydrometer so I knew exactly what it was

My first incubation I was cheap and didn't listen to everyone on here.... I didn't go buy extra hydrometer and temperature gauge. And boy should I have! I started with 60 quail eggs and only 12 hatched. Lots I had to help because they were shrink wrapped. After days of watching the incubator my husband brought home the gages and temp was on but humidity was 20 off! I dehydrated these eggs. I still feel bad 😔 ashamed I didn't listen to everyone! I also had to calibrate the new hydrometer so I knew exactly what it was
I know, thank you and I am sorry for your loss, it is a learning curve for sure! I do have the additional temp/humidity gauges and actually have better hatches in my Maticoopx then my way more expensive Brinseas. This was just an odd occurrence with how it happened, so it definitely bugs me.....

Yeah I thought expensive incubator would mean easier and better. Not the case! I definitely learned my lesson to never trust them! I also did shipped eggs too and within the first 5 days almost half were bad and did nothing. Next set didn't develop past day 10 or so. Only so many even tried to develop. The egg guy said he can hatch quail so easy he could do it in a bucket with a light and a spray bottle. He thinks that it was probably just being shipped rough is what caused poor hatch. Maybe that's what happened to you and you did nothing! I'm convinced it was me but I'm pretty good at blaming myself 🤦 he also could want me to buy more eggs. Which worked. I did 🤣
Even though they are eggs it's so hard to not be smitten with them already! Good luck and sorry for your troubles!

Back
Top Bottom