Do Barred Rocks Develop slowly

ChksontheRun

Songster
9 Years
Mar 18, 2010
Central Virginia
I have 14-- 2 1/2 week old chicks. All but my 2 barred rocks have body long wing feathers and tail feathers. The 2 barred rocks that are both supposed to be pullets have little stubby wing feathers and no tail feathers.

Are Barred rocks know to develop more slowly than other breeds?

Keep in mind that I am a first time chicken raiser...

but I have 2 Barred Rocks along with my other 8 chickens of varied breeds. My Barred Rocks are about 1 week older than the others, and I can really tell the difference. From having the chicks for a few weeks now, I know that my other breeds will look like the BRs in a week.

Maybe you have 2 BR roos? I understand roos feather more slowly that the pullets.

Hope this helps.

I don't think Barred Rocks have that reputation.

I have Partridge Rocks and they're all over the place feather-wise at three weeks of age.

Here's my straggler, looks like she's only about 1 1/2 weeks old.
Chicks_Day_21_27a-vi.jpg

Compared to one of my most feathered girls.
My_friend-vi.jpg

Both photos were taken within minutes of each other, I have no idea why there's a difference like that.

Mine just turned 3 weeks old, and she's got a lot more feathers than the other chicks I have. You can actually see a chicken now! She doesn't have feathers on her head yet, but I see them poking up! However, her comb is developing and rather pinkish.. so s/he's confusing me! With the feather development, and then the comb! Oh well! Only time will tell! But yeah, either way Im sure its a barred rock, and she's developed very fast!

Barred rocks are supposed to be an early maturing breed. My little roo has wings in now. Unfortunately, the only chickens that I have to compare him to are two day old RIR or similar breed and seven cornish x meaties, lol.

Between my Silver Laced Wyandottes, Barred Rocks, and Cinnamon Queens that were born 3/5/10 the Barred Rocks are the slowest to grow and get their feathers.

They grow pretty quickly. Mine were also laying at about 19 weeks, I think. That said, we are talking about general characteristics of the breed which are usually nothing more than averages. There can be quite a bit of variation within a given breed. Even we humans share certain common characteristics, but we are all very different--shapes, sizes, heights, color (even among the same race), etc. Same for all other animals.

UGCM

Back
Top Bottom