Climate Change Chickens

Manmythlegend

In the Brooder
May 4, 2019
Southern Arizona
I live in southern Arizona and while we have good weather 75% of the time, the dog days of summer can be brutal. I would like to take Turken stock and cross them with other heat tolerant, dual purpose (leaning toward egg production) breeds that have minimum heat related issues. Other than the reduced feather count and disease hardiness, I'd like to maximize comb and wattle size with a leaning towards lighter colorations. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter? The chickens, not climate change! I just used that term because it made the title have three Cs and that appealed to me.

How about white leghorn?
They do great in the heat and can't beat their egg production.
Crossed with turkens you'd get closer to dual purpose and their dominate white genes would lighten up a lot of the color. Doesn't do much against gold/buff/reds but turns black, blue, chocolate etc to white.
Huge combs so even with the cross you should get decent combs.
IDK I think it would be a good match for what you're looking for.

How about white leghorn?
Crossed with turkens you'd get closer to dual purpose and their dominate white genes would lighten up a lot of the color. Doesn't do much against gold/buff/reds but turns black, blue, chocolate etc to white.
I have quite a few ravens, owls, and hawks scouting the air around me so I'd like to concentrate on coloration that wouldn't call attention of the raptors. Maybe something lightly dappled or barred to blend into the shadows under the creosote bushes?

I live in southern Arizona and while we have good weather 75% of the time, the dog days of summer can be brutal. I would like to take Turken stock and cross them with other heat tolerant, dual purpose (leaning toward egg production) breeds that have minimum heat related issues. Other than the reduced feather count and disease hardiness, I'd like to maximize comb and wattle size with a leaning towards lighter colorations. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter? The chickens, not climate change! I just used that term because it made the title have three Cs and that appealed to me.
What's wrong with your turkens? Mine are the best laying, best meat, of any dual purpose I've ever had .
You can cross them with anything and still get naked necks, make what you want.

I'm here in Arizona also, and I have the white naked neck's. They handle our summer heat here better than most other breed's, and they also lay large sized egg's well.

How about white leghorn?
X2 Leghorns are definitely a beneficial breed. Pendescenca have dark brown eggs, and a crele pattern that would blend in with their surroundings.
ETA: it might be helpful to add gamefowl as well, to mix more genes. Not sure how they handle heat.

Last edited:
As I've said, I'm in the planning phase right now. I'm still trying to decide where the best location and what type of coop to create for them. I've just recently started researching breeds and wanted to start with pure breed naked necks so I know exactly what's mixed in my flock once I start mixing genes.

Back
Top Bottom