Depression or what?

Faux

Chirping
May 20, 2019
I am not sure if this is the right category for this question, because it may be considered a more behavioral thing, but...
Anyways I have a turken, aka naked neck chicken, I got her at the end of March, or early april, either way she is only a few months old and not laid her first egg yet. I got her along with two silkies. One of the silkies died a few weeks ago, but her legs were deformed and she struggled to walk and I was somewhat expecting her to not make it sadly :( ... I still questioned it but I live in southeast Georgia, so it has been extremely hot and humid, and my sister, who also raises chickens, suggested maybe it was the intense heat because she also had some baby chicks die.
I made sure to change the water daily and fed them, kept their area clean aswell. I was away this weekend and while I was away, my other silkie died. My mother, who was looking after my chickens, claims that the silkie was perfectly fine and moving around and chirping and pecking "not even a hour ago." So I guess she died suddenly.
I went to go feed my turken this morning, and she is all alone now, the silkie died just yesterday, and she just seems depressed. She is falling asleep alot, she seems unmotivated and just wants to sit or stand in one place. I was concerned so I called my sister, who recommended that I need to get her a friend, and to force her to drink water or eat. I have been giving her water and she even ate a little today, she just seems really disinterested in everything and closes her eyes. I dont know what to do.. I really dont want to take her to the vet because I don't really have that kind of money.. Her poop looks fine, she has been pooping regularly, I dont feel anything abnormal on her, could she just be depressed cause shes lonely? I also read somewhere that turkens do not really share the same behavior as the average chicken.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1715034842.jpg
    Snapchat-1715034842.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 13
Behavior is an indication of physical illness more than what we refer to as clinical depression. Your heat and humidity may have caused a bloom of coccidia and they are overwhelming your young chickens' intestines.

This is merely a guess, but the treatment isn't that costly and it's simple and easy. Get some Corid from the feed store and mix it up two teaspoons of liquid Corid to one gallon of fresh cool water. Give as the only water source for five days. Wait a week and repeat the five day treatment.

Silkie feathers have poor insulating quality so they are more sensitive to extreme temps. I'm so sorry you lost them.

Behavior is an indication of physical illness more than what we refer to as clinical depression. Your heat and humidity may have caused a bloom of coccidia and they are overwhelming your young chickens' intestines.

This is merely a guess, but the treatment isn't that costly and it's simple and easy. Get some Corid from the feed store and mix it up two teaspoons of liquid Corid to one gallon of fresh cool water. Give as the only water source for five days. Wait a week and repeat the five day treatment.

Silkie feathers have poor insulating quality so they are more sensitive to extreme temps. I'm so sorry you lost them.

If she doesn't have coccidiosis though could giving her corid affect her?

I would go get it today but all the agriculture stores around me close at 5, so I'm going first thing in the morning. Thank you for giving me a picture.

Back
Top Bottom