Chicken standing in the corner of the coop head tucked?

MommaChicken3

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 21, 2014
Wauconda, Illinois
My 2 year old Buff Orphington the last couple days has been standing in the corners of the coop with her head tucked to the side. Her comb is extremely pale. In The pictures I've posted it doesn't look very pale but it really is extremely pale. She eats just fine and gets around and is very normal outside. But the comb is always pale. Her eggs over the last couple days have been very oddly shaped as well? Not sure what the reason is for this? There is NO vet for chickens anywhere around here that I know of. What are your thoughts? My other two girls are perfectly healthy and just fine! Also, her comb has flipped over. I know sometimes that happens to some with age, but this is very recent. It isn't just flipped over, it's kind of curled up? Very strange!

Poor mama.

I would bring her inside and give her a warm, quiet, dim place to stay away from the other chickens.

A pale comb can be indicative of hormonal and reproductive issues.

Have you checked her abdomen? Does it feel rock hard or spongy and "full?"

How are her poops?

Is she waddling around like a penguin at all (too far upright for a chicken)?

Are there any other symptoms like wheezing, sneezing, nasal discharge, bubbly eyes?

Also, check her vent for mites/lice/nits at the base of her feathers.

It could be possible she's got Coccidiosis or she's overburdened with worms. When was the last time you wormed your flock and ran some Corid powder/liquid through their water?

Sorry to hear of your mama's troubles.

Keep us posted.
hugs.gif

MrsB

I would agree with MrsBrooke...this sounds very much like a lice/mites infestation...worms or/and a lack of calcium in her diet...check her for bugs...maybe treat her with Sevin Dust 5 percent or use Permethrin...if you have not de-wormed your flock it may be a good idea to treat them all...you can give her a boost with Vitamin B and E to help with what appears to be a calcium deficiency..eggs and tuna fish should help to boost her..

Sorry if it seems we are bombarding you with these suggestions...

If you suspect and have not recently treated for any lice/mites problem you will need to treat all of your flock...the coop will need to be treated. all bedding and nesting boxes need to be removed and burned..re-treat in 7 -10 days to erradicate any hatching eggs...

Poor mama.

I would bring her inside and give her a warm, quiet, dim place to stay away from the other chickens.

A pale comb can be indicative of hormonal and reproductive issues.

Have you checked her abdomen? Does it feel rock hard or spongy and "full?"

How are her poops?

Is she waddling around like a penguin at all (too far upright for a chicken)?

Are there any other symptoms like wheezing, sneezing, nasal discharge, bubbly eyes?

Also, check her vent for mites/lice/nits at the base of her feathers.

It could be possible she's got Coccidiosis or she's overburdened with worms. When was the last time you wormed your flock and ran some Corid powder/liquid through their water?

Sorry to hear of your mama's troubles.

Keep us posted. :hugs

MrsB
she is walking very slow. she seems lethargic, unless you put out treats, then she seems normal. But goes right back to being lethargic. I have not wormed the girls, I went to pick up stuff and they were out so it's been a little while. She is only with 2 other girls and they are in a huge mare and foal stall all to themselves. When I go back to bring the horses in, I will check her belly. Hard to tell what her stool is like as she is in with the other girls, but stool in the coop all seems normal. I will double check the corners where she has been hanging out in. I will also do a thorough check for mites tonight as well! I did notice when I picture up today to snuggle her and give her a hug and kiss that she seemed a little underweight. She was kind of boney after feeling her over. But she eats well. Layer feed, very little cracked corn mixed in (very little) , meal worms every other morning for treats, cabbage ball once a week (they play tether ball with it, as its hung from the ceiling) they get other veggies, free range, and always have oyster shells available on the side 24-7. The color of the comb is really worrying me! I've seen some of the girls Combs get light and then brighten up, but it's so pale it's almost white and looks so curled up. I'm going to have to go back and pick up wormer for them. If this doesn't help, what next? I added a little chicken electrolytes in their water and it didn't seem to effect her in any way good or bad. No weezing, no sneezing, no bubbly eye. But the eyes do seem lifeless. Not bright like they usually are! I just want to help her! I saved my birds from a local neighbor who was going to kill his 3 chickens because he said they didn't lay eggs! I found out that he didn't feed them anything, nor were they old enough at the time to even lay. Needless to say that how I inherited my 3 girls, but they have always been healthy laid eggs regularly and are very happy spoiled birds!! I will update you later on of my findings when I look her over! I will also post more pics!

I would agree with MrsBrooke...this sounds very much like a lice/mites infestation...worms or/and a lack of calcium in her diet...check her for bugs...maybe treat her with Sevin Dust 5 percent or use Permethrin...if you have not de-wormed your flock it may be a good idea to treat them all...you can give her a boost with Vitamin B and E to help with what appears to be a calcium deficiency..eggs and tuna fish should help to boost her..

Sorry if it seems we are bombarding you with these suggestions...

If you suspect and have not recently treated for any lice/mites problem you will need to treat all of your flock...the coop will need to be treated. all bedding and nesting boxes need to be removed and burned..re-treat in 7 -10 days to erradicate any hatching eggs...

I am a little late on my worming schedule as I went to pick up and they were out! I just checked the girls about a week ago when I clipped toe nails and nobody had any mites, and my entire coop was just cleaned out as well, but I will not rule out mites/lice until I go back and double check her tonight! I will bring her some eggs and tuna tonight! It's breaking my heart to see her like this. She also stopped roosting and sleeps in her nesting boxes instead. So strange! I just want her to feel better!

I know that feeling so well...it is patently obvious that you love your chickens...I would suspect lice or mites...her comb being so pale would indicate that she may well have an infestation that is debilitating her to extremes...not all chickens react in such a way to indicate that they are suffering from lice or mites...it is very hard to diagnose...as are so many of the ailments they can suffer from..we can only eliminate one by one of the problems/symptoms...

If you have any Sevin Dust or Permethrin it may be a good idea to treat her now...just as a precaution...hope she enjoys her eggs and tuna tonight!

Please keep us updated...

If you have any Panacur horse de-worming paste...consider using a very small amount of that to de-worm her in a few days...

Good luck to you and your beautiful Buff Orpington!

Stupid me...sorry..nesting boxes do not need to be destroyed...only the bedding within...I was frantically typing and my brain was nit engaging with my hands...!!!!

Stupid me...sorry..nesting boxes do not need to be destroyed...only the bedding within...I was frantically typing and my brain was nit engaging with my hands...!!!!

Oh thank god! He would have killed me!! Haha I will change all the bedding out! Thanks! I will keep you all posted!

I know that feeling so well...it is patently obvious that you love your chickens...I would suspect lice or mites...her comb being so pale would indicate that she may well have an infestation that is debilitating her to extremes...not all chickens react in such a way to indicate that they are suffering from lice or mites...it is very hard to diagnose...as are so many of the ailments they can suffer from..we can only eliminate one by one of the problems/symptoms...

If you have any Sevin Dust or Permethrin it may be a good idea to treat her now...just as a precaution...hope she enjoys her eggs and tuna tonight!

Please keep us updated...

If you have any Panacur horse de-worming paste...consider using a very small amount of that to de-worm her in a few days...

Good luck to you and your beautiful Buff Orpington!

I don't have panacur. Just safeguard, and zimectrin gold.

Back
Top Bottom