Caught in the act...

perfectly_polish

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 1, 2007
CT
I posted a thread a few weeks ago about how my new Silver Lace Polish Rooster wasn't mating with my hens or crowing. Well he started crowing early in the morning about a week ago and today I was sitting at the computer at about 5pm and all of a sudded hear him crowing again, I looked outside and he started mating with one of the hens. WOO-HOO I thought time to get the incubator out
woot.gif
jumpy.gif
! But the hen he was "trying" to mate with was one of our silkie pulletts who is about 6 months old and not even laying yet. So now I'm wondering if he is mating with the other hens that are laying. I guess the only way to be sure is to incubate some of their eggs. We also have a pekin duck also 6 months old and he grabs the back of the silkies neck, is he also trying to mate with them or is he just being agressive? Oh, and I wanted to know if it okay to clean an incubator out with bleach. Someone told me to use bleach and a tooth brush to clean it, but I just wanted to make sure it was safe first. Thanks!

-Sophia
yippiechickie.gif

Chances are he's been with your other girls as well. One rooster can take care of several hens. I bet you've got some fertile eggs out there!
Good to hear that he's finally found is "special purpous". lol!

your duck is trying to mate with your hen.an sometimes if ducks try mating the hens.they kill the hens.

one of my muscovie drakes tries to breed every chicken hen he can, even though there are 8 muscovie hens with them also, I think that our older drake doesn't let him share!

At our old house we had 1 female cayuga and and 2 female runner ducks but about a week before we moved they all just disappeared. That is actually why we moved, we had a lock on out chicken coop and one morning found it broke open and about 10 chickens dead, looked like they had broken necks and backs, and the sad part was that we found one of our silkies half dead and it dies in our arms. Now we only have him, so I am deffiently planning on getting some more ducks. What would be better to get ducklings, or adults/started? Thanks everyone!

-Sophia in CT

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom