My roosters are mating my hens but nothing is laying

adladladl

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2023
I have several hens that are going on 6 months old. They are 2 weeks away from being 6 months old. A few weeks ago, I noticed the two roosters mating with several of them on different occasions. Today, they mated with half a dozen hens out of at least 20 girls several times. That means they are fertile but I am getting ZERO eggs. I have looked everywhere--they are not hidden. They are simply not laying. I assumed only fertile hens got mated with and that meant they were laying. Where are the eggs?

I don’t think that that necessarily means that they are laying, but they should start laying really soon if they are almost six months :)

what corose22 said. The pullets that are squatting for the roos are close to laying and will start soon.

Be aware that sometimes things don't work smoothly from the get-go and there may be some weird eggs - soft-shelled or even lacking shells, small, large, double yolked, unexpected colour shells etc. In due course, in most such cases, these wrinkles get ironed out, as the reproductive system and shell gland get into gear, and they are not things to worry about; there's nothing wrong with such a pullet, her system just needs some time to work it all out properly.

I have looked everywhere--they are not hidden.
Or you just didn't find them, they can be very sneaky.
Might be time for an exam:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
Then maybe....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

I have several hens that are going on 6 months old. They are 2 weeks away from being 6 months old. A few weeks ago, I noticed the two roosters mating with several of them on different occasions. Today, they mated with half a dozen hens out of at least 20 girls several times. That means they are fertile but I am getting ZERO eggs. I have looked everywhere--they are not hidden. They are simply not laying. I assumed only fertile hens got mated with and that meant they were laying. Where are the eggs?
Some breeds take longer. Especially heritage breeds. Also, i had 40 hens that all just stopped. I did extensive research and discovered it's the sorghum. Won't bore you with the chemistry, but I'm a licensed homeopath, so i double checked and conducted my own study over a year, yup. It's the sorghum. I switched back to only corn mixes and VOILA! Eggs again!

Back
Top Bottom