Bumblefoot grew back bigger in 2 weeks??

Country4ever

Songster
12 Years
Oct 26, 2007
I removed a black hard knot from one of my hen's feet about 2 weeks ago. She had been on Baytril for 10 days. When I removed the knot/scab, her skin looked completely healed around it. I still treated it with either betadine and sugar or triple antibiotic ointment for several days. It seemed fine. Today I noticed another huge knot between her toes...even bigger than the last. I didn't pick her up yet to look under her foot. (I was on my way somewhere and didn't want to get pooped on!).
This is very strange. I was pretty much convinced that her body had sealed off the infection awhile ago, and maybe it was just the hard knot that was making it uncomfortable for her to walk.
Now she has another huge hard knot in the same place. What gives??
P.S. She has never limped with either problem.

Last edited:
I am going through the same thing. Has been going on for a while now. I took my gal to a vet and he took care of the issue (bumble foot on both feet) but the swelling wouldn't go down between her toes on one foot. On our re-check up visit, he used a syringe to drain the fluid. Seemed to work but a couple days later, the swelling was back. Dr. Bob made an incision and found a "corn kernel" way up high in her foot near the swelled area. He showed me what he found and it had a "root" on it. Gretchen just had another re-check on Thursday and looks like she is on the mend. One more visit and she won't need to be bandaged up any more. She is finally healing. This has been going on for 3 weeks now. ( she was on Baytril as well)

Thanks Mama Hen Chris,
I've heard that Baytril isn't the best med for this. I think next time I'll try to get something else.
What was hard for me to understand was that in 2 weeks, she had that hard knot back. It was completely gone after I excised her bumblefoot "thing". You'd think it would at least be soft for awhile.
Was your chicken limping at all?
Mine has never limped. Sometimes I wonder if I should just let it go and see what happens.
I hope yours stays gone!

You are welcome.

Gretchen did have a limp with the swelling. The Baytril was given for the infection as she had pus in her foot. The Dr. gave me all the betadine, cotton wrap, vet wrap and gauze to take care of her. The only thing I had to pay for was the Animax ointment for the "hole" from the scab removal. Healed up nicely. I also gave her epsom salt soaks. Gretchen's spa day!
smile.png

I would keep on eye on your gal. I have another gal who was going through the same thing with Gretchen but she healed up quickly. I have noticed though that she has a small swelling between her toes but it hasn't changed in weeks. So far , I am not concerned. I just keep checking their feet.

My vet also suggested that we wrap the roosts with astro turf. That seemed rough so I bought indoor/outdoor remnants to cover them and the outdoor roost as well. He also suggested lower roosts as she is a heavier gal and the pressure on her feet from "landing" on the floor seems to cause bumble foot. He also suggested that she could have scraped her foot on something and infection sets in. (We have been in the process of building a new coop so making the roosts lower was no problem) Our old coop was too small for our 10 gals. We only started with 4 girls but chickenmath somehow set in.

I hope all goes well with your gal.

new coop in progress
66234_img_9526.jpg

Gretchen

66234_img_9204.jpg

66234_img_9203.jpg

66234_img_9208.jpg

She's extra pretty with her purple booties!
smile.png

I need to lower my roost. Its much too high for my old heavy hens. Its a ladder roost that's about 4' high, with 4-5 2x4s leading up to the top roost.
But they love looking out the window so much! I'll have to think about this.......
Good luck with Gretchen. She's a beauty!

Back
Top Bottom