Bumblefoot Again

ihatedarkroast

Songster
Sep 28, 2021
Martinsville, Virginia, USA
So about a month ago or so I noticed our favorite pet hen had a bumble on one foot. I Washed it, put ointment on, I changed the bedding in the coop and kind of forgot about it as she was acting normally. Then I saw it had gotten a lot worse a week or so ago with a knot forming on top of the foot not just bottom. I attempted treatment again but was unable to get anywhere except for upsetting the poor bird. Instead of one big black spot it had a few tiny ones on the bottom of the foot.

Yesterday on Independence Day I noticed she was limping. The knot had started forming a head and the foot was hot and very hard. The brown scab was there. I ended up taking the core out, doing an epsom salt soak, taking out more clumps of foot cheese with tweezers, doing another soak, etc. Until it was all out. Used Bactrine spray, a peroxide rinse, and packed with triple antibiotic. The smell was awful. I couldn't believe the sheer volume of what was in there or how hardened it was. How do yall do this? It's so hard! I felt horrible as the chicken was patient but very uncomfortable.

Today Minette is walking around on her dressing and acting fairly chicken-y. Should I wait a few days before rewrapping the foot? When should I start leaving it unwrapped so it can dry out?

Not only that but I also discovered a young rabbit with botfly warbles and had to pull those as well. No pics of the bun but it was gross. How long should I keep my bunny isolated while she heals?

Attachments

• IMG_20230704_133925373.jpg
    IMG_20230704_133925373.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20230704_141308975.jpg
    IMG_20230704_141308975.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230704_144213221.jpg
    IMG_20230704_144213221.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 5
First of all: You did the right thing with your chicken! I’m sure it was hard, but you did a really good job. Leaving the bandage on for a few days is good- then you can unwrap it and see the progress. Different chickens heal differently. If it still looks nasty, you can rinse it with peroxide again and wrap It up for another few days.
As for your rabbit, I am unfortunately not the best when it comes to mammals, but I do hope she gets better. Normally, the rule for healing time is a week or so, but don’t take it from me. Definitely check with someone else.
Good luck with both little critters!

First of all: You did the right thing with your chicken! I’m sure it was hard, but you did a really good job. Leaving the bandage on for a few days is good- then you can unwrap it and see the progress. Different chickens heal differently. If it still looks nasty, you can rinse it with peroxide again and wrap It up for another few days.
As for your rabbit, I am unfortunately not the best when it comes to mammals, but I do hope she gets better. Normally, the rule for healing time is a week or so, but don’t take it from me. Definitely check with someone else.
Good luck with both little critters!
Thank you.

The chicken is ignoring the fact that the bandage is there and scratching and doing all the things she normally does now. I might take a look at the foot again and change the bandage this weekend then.

I asked here about the rabbit because it seems botfly larvae affect chickens too. And there was more on the web about chickens getting them than bunnies. Anyway, the rabbit seems to be on the mend. The swelling has gone down a lot, wounds look improved. I want to put ointment and flyspray on her but then I realized she will lick herself and remove anything I put on it like that unless I get one of those cone things. I kept her for a couple days on my porch in a crate then put her back with her siblings. She seems a lot happier.

Hopefully all the animals will be healthy for a little while now. Dear God please. Haha.

Back
Top Bottom