Bumblefoot on duck…does drawing salve fix it?

HennyPenny44

Songster
5 Years
Apr 3, 2019
Central New Jersey
One of my ducks was limping recently. At first, I thought it was from overmating with my drake—some of the feathers on the back of her head are missing. But when I picked her up, I saw she had a bad case of bumblefoot. It’s swollen. I quickly started soaking her foot in epsom salt, then using clear iodine, then trying to remove the kernel, then applying triple action antibiotic with drawing salve on gauze and finally bandaging her up with a duck booty on top.

It’s day 3 and I finally removed the entire kernel. But her foot pad is still swollen. I tried massaging out any other pus but all I got was blood so I stopped because she seemed uncomfortable. Then repeated the whole bandaging process. She’s isolated now with feed and apple cider vinegar in her water.

Will the drawing salve draw out the rest of the pus? I don’t want to do surgery. I also unfortunately cannot afford a vet. They’re charging $258 just to see the doctor and anything after that is extra.

PRID or drawing salve is actually recommended for bumblefoot especially if it's just starting. They advise to take off the scab and put PRID on, cover with sterile gauze, usually using vet wrap. I suppose because it's not so big at that point so it can draw it out.

I sure don't see why you couldn't do that same thing now to try get the rest of it out. You're doing great!

PRID or drawing salve is actually recommended for bumblefoot especially if it's just starting. They advise to take off the scab and put PRID on, cover with sterile gauze, usually using vet wrap. I suppose because it's not so big at that point so it can draw it out.

I sure don't see why you couldn't do that same thing now to try get the rest of it out. You're doing great!
Thank you for the vote of confidence! I’ll keep on working on my girl with the drawing salve.

Thank you for the vote of confidence! I’ll keep on working on my girl with the drawing salve.
There may not be anything left the swelling should begin to go down it is most likely from the actual bumble before you removed the kernel. So just keep an eye on it it should begin to heal and if there is any infection left the drawing slave should take care of the rest. Good job on getting it out and the bandaging part.

There may not be anything left the swelling should begin to go down it is most likely from the actual bumble before you removed the kernel. So just keep an eye on it it should begin to heal and if there is any infection left the drawing slave should take care of the rest. Good job on getting it out and the bandaging part.
Thank you. It’s my first time dealing with bumblefoot and it’s nerve wracking! But I know where to go to get advice.🥰

Back
Top Bottom