Black spots in duck foot, please help!!

Alongmire

Hatching
May 12, 2020
Hey guys. I have a Pekin Duck that’s 5 weeks old he hasn’t been able to walk very well and we figured it was a niacin deficiency so we started adding niacin to his diet. Just today I was getting him out to let him go for a swim and noticed 2 black dots on the top of his foot. I’ve looked it up and Bumblefoot was what I was finding, however, Bumblefoot seems to be on the outside of the foot. Kinda like a scab that can be scraped off. The spots on my duck’s foot are not on top of the skin but I’m the skin. My finger will slide right over it as if they weren’t even there. Could you please tell me what this is and how to treat it. I’m worried. He doesn’t walk much but he’ll stand up and just start quaking like crazy then eventually sit back down, and after a couple of minutes he does it again. I have attached a picture of my duck’s foot.

Attachments

• A4CA3E05-E77B-46BC-B119-E874EE766510.jpeg
    A4CA3E05-E77B-46BC-B119-E874EE766510.jpeg
    474.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 54C4CE81-6C5E-4F02-93E2-B96356D4C56B.jpeg
    54C4CE81-6C5E-4F02-93E2-B96356D4C56B.jpeg
    362.8 KB · Views: 63
  • E928AEAD-92F6-4125-8870-FA3B52A9655F.jpeg
    E928AEAD-92F6-4125-8870-FA3B52A9655F.jpeg
    407.1 KB · Views: 62
If the spots are the problem I would guess bacterial infection. However someone who has had pekins will probably chime in and say its just freckles or something like that.

If the spots are the problem I would guess bacterial infection. However someone who has had pekins will probably chime in and say its just freckles or something like that.
Bacterial infection? Would you happen to know how I could treat it? If it just freckles that would be nice but it has me worried because he already doesn’t walk much and he doesn’t seem to have much control over that leg.

Welcome to BackYard Chickens!

Looks like a freckle, I highly doubt its a staph infection, but it wouldn't hurt to check on the undersides of her feet, where it is most commonly found. Regarding the niacin deficiency, what kind of brand are you using, how are you administering it, and at what dosage? She has some very swollen hock joints. You may find this link helpful-

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

I’d like to talk about the trouble walking first go to TSC and get ASAP buy liquid B Complex and start him on it fast 1 ml a day before he isn’t able to walk at all. It’s going to say injectable but just peel off the foil and use a syringe with out needle or dropper. Put the complex over a tasty treat. As for the feet I don’t know what it can be but if you don’t feel anything different when running your finger over them then I doubt it’s anything to worry about.

Welcome to BackYard Chickens!

Looks like a freckle, I highly doubt its a staph infection, but it wouldn't hurt to check on the undersides of her feet, where it is most commonly found. Regarding the niacin deficiency, what kind of brand are you using, how are you administering it, and at what dosage? She has some very swollen hock joints. You may find this link helpful-

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

I’m using Naturalist B complex. It’s the pill version. 20mg of niacin per pill. I’m feeding him one pill devolved in water and one in food while I sit by and make sure he eats it all, and another pill goes in the main water container for both ducks. How much should I be using? I don’t want to use too much.

I’d like to talk about the trouble walking first go to TSC and get ASAP buy liquid B Complex and start him on it fast 1 ml a day before he isn’t able to walk at all. It’s going to say injectable but just peel off the foil and use a syringe with out needle or dropper. Put the complex over a tasty treat. As for the feet I don’t know what it can be but if you don’t feel anything different when running your finger over them then I doubt it’s anything to worry about.
I’m giving him crushed up B complex vitamin daily. At least 2 that I supervise him eating so 40mg of niacin daily, but I do put more niacin in the main water for both of my ducks. He doesn’t walk well but I’ve been giving this for a couple of days and he seems to be standing with his feet a little closer together, but he still doesn’t walk much and when he does he always throws his wings out for balance.

Back
Top Bottom