Best All-Around Chicken Breed?

Pics

Bullitt

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 16, 2012
Texas
Which breed of chicken do you think is the all-around best?

The criteria would be (in no particular order):
-- A dual-purpose chicken for eggs and meat
-- A chicken that does not develop slowly
-- A chicken that can reproduce itself (go broody)
-- A chicken that forages well for food
-- A chicken that lays eggs well
-- A chicken that can tolerate cold and heat pretty well

A breed like a Leghorn would not qualify because they are on the small side to be a meat chicken and they rarely go broody.

It is also important to remember that many hatchery strains of a breed are less broody. Some broodiness is needed, but not overly broody.

The criteria would be (in no particular order):
-- A dual-purpose chicken for eggs and meat
-- A chicken that does not develop slowly
-- A chicken that can reproduce itself (go broody)
-- A chicken that forages well for food
-- A chicken that lays eggs well
-- A chicken that can tolerate cold and heat pretty well

Looks like a job for a spreadsheet comparison, with rankings in your areas of concern, and maybe a total overall score for each breed. Then you could sort the data out on any criteria or overall rankings. Very logical. :caf

I just picked my small backyard flock based on their color and looks, with a variety of egg colors for the basket as a bonus. Works for me! :highfive:

Looks like a job for a spreadsheet comparison, with rankings in your areas of concern, and maybe a total overall score for each breed. Then you could sort the data out on any criteria or overall rankings. Very logical. :caf

I just picked my small backyard flock based on their color and looks, with a variety of egg colors for the basket as a bonus. Works for me! :highfive:
I picked my flock by which chickens can handle mating with my black jersey giants. Plus egg color... We incubate our eggs to create meat chicks, so far we think we picked perfectly. We have 21 chicks that are growing pretty fast!

Wyandottes are pretty well rounded overall. They are a good dual purpose breed that goes broody and handles cold well. Heat is doable so long as shade and water are available. Growth wise they are pretty average. Plus they have magnificent plumage (my favorite being blue laced red) that comes in some rather unique though unofficial hues. Another great candidate might be Faverolles, they too are a great breed meeting the rough criteria layed out. JGs are almost there but they are definitely a slower growing breed due to their awesome size.

It depends on the specific line, and, it would come from a breeder, not a hatchery. :)

I’d imagine lots fit the bill. Whitmore or Dawnridge line of Delawares, any of frank Reese’s birds, New Hampshire’s from Mike Omeg.....

To maintain egg laying while also having a shot at being really utility it will have to be a well managed line.....

Back
Top Bottom