Best All-Around Chicken Breed?

I think Red Stars or Black Stars would fit most of your criteria, although they’re not great meat birds.

They would meet many of the requirements, but they would not be able to reproduce themselves because they are not very broody and they are not breeds. These crosses are good chickens for laying eggs, though.

Can Swedish Flower Hens handle heat? I also just looked them up and they can lay up to 150 eggs a year. That is okay, but not great.

The Java would be good chickens in almost every category, but I have read that Javas are slow to mature.

There are varieties in black, mottled, white, and auburn. Some are not recognized and some are rare.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Delaware would be my choice. Just using what I have in my flock and have seen in my flock.

The Delaware seems like a good contender for all-around chicken. They go broody and lay about 200 eggs a year. They also have mostly white feathers, which is generally desirable for a meat bird. Although, with feather pluckers these days, the chicken gets pretty clean. So feather color is not a huge factor.

Wyandottes are pretty well rounded overall. They are a good dual purpose breed that goes broody and handles cold well. Heat is doable so long as shade and water are available. Growth wise they are pretty average. Plus they have magnificent plumage (my favorite being blue laced red) that comes in some rather unique though unofficial hues. Another great candidate might be Faverolles, they too are a great breed meeting the rough criteria layed out. JGs are almost there but they are definitely a slower growing breed due to their awesome size.

Wyandotte seem to be another top contender for all-around chicken. The Columbian Wyandotte is mostly white and it lays more than 200 eggs per year. The rose comb would help them handle the cold better than chickens with a single comb.

Here is the description from Cackle Hatcher's website: "This chicken was named after it was exhibited at the 1893 Columbian Exposition or World's Fair held in Chicago. This variety was admitted as an American Standard breed in the American Standard of Perfection in 1905. Columbian Wyandotte chickens are a docile bird, clean legs, white with black feather around the neck, tail and wings. They have a rose comb and occasionally will go broody and they make excellent mothers. They do well in confinement or free range areas."

The Rhode Island Red and the New Hampshire might be contenders. They both lay more than 200 eggs a year. The Rhode Island Red would be better for eggs and the New Hampshire better for meat.

A little broodiness is needed, so strains that have some broodiness would meet the requirements for all-around chicken breeds.

The Delaware seems like a good contender for all-around chicken. They go broody and lay about 200 eggs a year. They also have mostly white feathers, which is generally desirable for a meat bird. Although, with feather pluckers these days, the chicken gets pretty clean. So feather color is not a huge factor.
I absolute love my Delaware and what she looks like. Her egg laying has been great so far. I heard they go broody, but mine hasn't because she's still young, maybe in the spring she will. I got her because everyone said they're good for hatching eggs, laying eggs, and meat. Mine forages well, she doesn't eat much of the chicken feed. She eats some in the morning then she's off looking for bugs and other things.

Back
Top Bottom