Bantam Rhode Island Red Thread

great thanks I was just curious about the food to egg ratio and egg size on the bantams of breeds that are so well known for eggs.

does anyone free range them? im a bit concerned about air predators not had much trouble with our big girls but the goat in with them may help denture hawks n such

does anyone free range them? im a bit concerned about air predators not had much trouble with our big girls but the goat in with them may help denture hawks n such
Except for this spring, mine generally run free. They do have protection in their run. They do keep excellent watch on the skies. More so than my others. One Alarm shriek from ole Mac, and they scramble for the barn. So far, so good. The most losses I've had from hawks were on my brown chickens. The least problems were with my white chickens. I think the hawks relate more to color.
Owls?! If they can fly into a summer roost at night, they'll land on the roost, scoot the chickens off the edge, and pounce on them. They'll kill several in one night that way.
My biggest threat is the large 8' Rat Snakes, that come down off the mountain on warm nights. They can't eat the chickens, but they'll strangle them to death. they can climb straight up a wall, hide in the rafters by day, and kill at night. I found I can use a soft shooting birdshot .22 caliber ammo that will bring them out of the 14' high rafters, and hit the ground dead from head shots. You don't have to be a good shot, just point. The tiny bird shot does the rest. And it doesn't hurt the barn roof at all.

Last edited:
lol interesting .Yahoo know we used to keep white leghorns and know that I think of it never had and hawk attempts on them.Did lose one barrred rock to a hawk before the goat. we have learned a secured coop locked down at night mostly keeps them safe :)

A few pics of my two bantam pullets.

My RIR bantam Rooster isn't the man he should be, so I'm ordering another batch of 15 chicks. This time I hope to get some cockerels that will fertilize the eggs. My LiL hens are great setters. They don't panic like my others when you feel under them. I really have grown to like this breed of chicken.

Does anyone know where Bob Blosls RIR bantams ended up or who might have some of his line. I've been looking for some out of his line for a while but can't find out who may have any of them. If anyone knows please let me know. Thanks

Does anyone know where Bob Blosls RIR bantams ended up or who might have some of his line. I've been looking for some out of his line for a while but can't find out who may have any of them. If anyone knows please let me know. Thanks
I don't have a clue. Sorry.
McMurry Hatchery in Ohio, brags about their line of RIR bantams, and I sure was hoping to try them out, but at the time of my order, they didn't have any. Checked later, and they had them posted for only two dates for the entire year. Cackle Hatchery sells them through most of the summer.

Received my order of 15 new chicks from 'Cackle Hatchery' yesterday, Friday 17th, 2015, at 6:50am at the Post Office. There were 17 healthy looking chicks in the box. The Brooder was warm and ready, with fresh water mixed with a tad of black strap molasses. Each chick got their beaks wet with their first drink, before releasing them into the brooder. They are eating well, but I did find a Pasty Butt this morning, and cleaned that up quickly. I use an old water trough for my brooder under the barn shed.

Update: Barn Temps are outrageously in the 100 to 108*F. Chicks are doing fine, but I did lose one lil pullet. It was after dark, and I was adjusting the lights for temperature, and fireflies were everywhere. A few landed on the flooring, and she scooped it up, I think another chick got part of it before she swallowed it. Next morning, she was ill as was the other chick. 3 days later she died, but the other pulled out of it finally, and is doing well.
They gave me a scare yesterday. I thought they all came down with coccidiosis , but it was just dark brown watery poo, because of the heat, and all the water they are drinking to keep cool.

Back
Top Bottom