Bantam Rhode Island Red Thread

Yeah; I'd like to increase mine too. I ordered 15 RIRB's in April, and got 7 pullets / 8 cockerels. Gave away all but one roo, and hope to hatch some chicks next spring. I'll probably use my two broody White Japanese Black Tail hens to hatch them. They seem to be pretty good mamma's.

If you can't vaccinate them yourself, find a veterinarian. I've vaccinated about everything but chicken. It's rather easy to do. Most vaccines go under the loose skin, and not into the muscle.

p.s. I read your post too fast. I see that you don't want vaccinated poultry. It won't hurt if they are. Good housekeeping.
Mine aren't vaccinated, but they aren't being relocated either.

Last edited:
Howdy Folks: I'm back. PC has been down for awhile. Well; My Rhodes are 25 weeks old. They began laying early in their 24th week. Eggs weigh from 0.85 oz to 1.17 oz. These are PeeWee size. Close to the Japanese bantam eggs, and smaller than my Buff Orpington eggs which are 1.75 to 2 ounces. Really can't determine if all 7 are laying, but I get from 1 to 4 eggs per day from them. Their egg color is a deep off white, or very light tan. Below is Ole MacDonald. He likes to be around me, but he's a little shy. The girls are more friendly, and some love to be held and petted.
How have they settled in over the last few months? Hitting their stride as far as laying? Thinking about getting some from Cackle myself.

A few pics of my two bantam pullets.

Not the best pic because they wouldn't stay still and I am sure my phone wasn't so still either. I just sold these but still have the breeders they came from. Haven't decided if I will hatch any this year.

If u are looking for an incubator I highly recommend the Janoel 12 incubator I don't like the egg turner that says u can fit 12 eggs in it and they are still small and just started laying and I could only fit 6 in the turner but if u don't use the turner u can fit well over a dozen I am doing another hatch with it and I have in 9 right now and will be adding more tomarrow so I can fit probably about two dozen if u don't use he egg turner

I will try and get some pictures I have 2 broodies right now. As for the breeder have you contacted Gary Underwood he lives in Stockton Illinois I got mine from Jerry Powell of Ohio but I contacted Gary and may be getting some from him.

Corey

From what I've seen they look decent but not the best. They would be good for county fair shows or just for fun but not in the big shows.

Back
Top Bottom