blackandtan

Crowing
Aug 30, 2016
Thunder Bay Ontario canada
Hello all,
Hoping someone can advise me on my next steps here: I’ve got six eggs left in the incubator, two each marans, ameraucana and chantecler, and I can’t really see through the shells very well. I can see that the air cells are drawn down, I stopped turning day 18, temp 37-37.5, rh 65-70 for the hatch. Seven popped out over the course of six hours between day 20/21 with no problems. I was told that all eggs were laid the same day, they were warm and I kept the temp in my truck around 30+ degrees on the drive home, so maybe they started developing right away?

I’ve just opened the air cell on a chantecler because all I see is air cell and darkness, I couldn’t see movement at all. Lo and behold, there’s movement! The membrane looks dry to me, and there’s no pip.
WHAT DO I DO?!?
image.jpg

image.jpg

So I thought I’d update, it’s almost day 24, I didn’t hear otherwise so I decided to go ahead and open the remaining eggs, maybe it will help someone else sometime:
The two ameraucanas were dead, they were small eggs, the membrane seemed a bit thick and pretty dry. The air cells were so small, it seemed like the two chicks tried to pip but didn’t have enough room to poke a hole in it. Their little beaks were even open but they just didn’t have room.They were fully developed though.

The two marans were dead, the air cells were big but on the side of the eggs, (I guess this is a saddle air cell?). Lots of fluid inside and the chicks didn’t look like they were at 23 days, I don’t know why that would be.

The two Chanteclers were both showing movement on day 22, good air cells, I opened one yesterday and there was a lot of movement so I left him till this morning. He was pretty dry and not moving so I opened the egg completely. He was malpositioned and the yolk hadn’t fully absorbed. I opened the top of the other one, he’s still moving so I decided to go ahead and open a tiny hole where I thought the beak was. The membrane bled a little bit so I’m leaving him alone, I suspect that he wasn’t fully formed either even though it’s been 23+ days so I think I’ll just let him pass in peace.
Better luck next time I guess, but hopefully next time will be with my own eggs!

The other seven are happy and healthy and scampering around :)

So I thought I’d update, it’s almost day 24, I didn’t hear otherwise so I decided to go ahead and open the remaining eggs, maybe it will help someone else sometime:
The two ameraucanas were dead, they were small eggs, the membrane seemed a bit thick and pretty dry. The air cells were so small, it seemed like the two chicks tried to pip but didn’t have enough room to poke a hole in it. Their little beaks were even open but they just didn’t have room.They were fully developed though.

The two marans were dead, the air cells were big but on the side of the eggs, (I guess this is a saddle air cell?). Lots of fluid inside and the chicks didn’t look like they were at 23 days, I don’t know why that would be.

The two Chanteclers were both showing movement on day 22, good air cells, I opened one yesterday and there was a lot of movement so I left him till this morning. He was pretty dry and not moving so I opened the egg completely. He was malpositioned and the yolk hadn’t fully absorbed. I opened the top of the other one, he’s still moving so I decided to go ahead and open a tiny hole where I thought the beak was. The membrane bled a little bit so I’m leaving him alone, I suspect that he wasn’t fully formed either even though it’s been 23+ days so I think I’ll just let him pass in peace.
Better luck next time I guess, but hopefully next time will be with my own eggs!

The other seven are happy and healthy and scampering around :)
Glad you got some at least, shame about the others but never mind. Good luck with them and keep us updated!😊

Back
Top Bottom