Quick hatch, bulging pink “outie” belly button- under 2 hours old

Jojociita

Chirping
Aug 25, 2023
Hey hey again BYC! Today is internal pip day, however, I walked into the incubator room because of a LOUD cheep and realized that an egg (that had no pips an hour early nor was it moving or making noise) was 75% zipped. Within another 10 minutes, she was out. She looked like she pipped LOW but the fully absorbed everything (yolk and veins) and wanted OUT of the other half of the egg. She got out quickly and was still very much attached to her empty umbilical and the egg. I snipped the umbilical with sharp, sanitized medical shears and she settled down. No bleeding before during or after the snip, but she has a very pink outie a half cm out? Ish. There’s a tiny piece of shell on it but she’s fluffing peacefully in the incubator. Since this isn’t her bend, it’s not oozing or bleeding, and she’s not paying attention to it, should I leave it? I will pull her out and pop her in the brooder to avoid any accidental soccer moments once she’s fluffed. (I’ve done this with early hatches frequently, and as long as it’s within 30 seconds or so, the humidity only even drops maybe 2 or 3% because I crank the hot shower and pull the warm mist humidifier in. (I’m always dying in an 85 degree 70% humidity room while I transfer them but a little sweat never hurt me lol)

Any thoughts would be helpful. I want to let her fluff before I crank the sauna again to get her out so I took as many pics as I could from different angles to help hopefully.

Homemade incubator with a single computer fan (not really forced air, just helps any hot or cold spots). Averaged 99.6 degrees F throughout the 20.5 days until she hatched. And of course I ran about 50% humidity until 2 days ago when I bumped it gradually to 55. 60, 65, then landed on 67%. I usually only bump it more if we have a funny pip to ensure no one dries out. Thank you for any help!! Welcome to my new pretty little Baby black and honey colored Silkie!

Peace, Love, & Pullets,
Jojo

IMG_8061.jpeg

IMG_8064.jpeg

IMG_8068.jpeg

IMG_8057.jpeg

IMG_8025.jpeg

Since this isn’t her bend, it’s not oozing or bleeding, and she’s not paying attention to it, should I leave it?
That is what I would do. Just leave it alone, but be aware in case that chick or another one starts to peck at it. I think there is a good chance it will resolve itself, and it should be less obvious (visible to encourage pecking) once the chick is dry and fluffy.

Back
Top Bottom