Anyone know anything about Amberlinks/Amber Stars?

Sunshyne276

Songster
9 Years
Jun 10, 2010
Richlands, Virginia
I know Amberlink is not technically a "breed".. It's a hybrid of some sort.
(wish I knew what breeds make an Amberlink?)

But.. I was wondering.. The pullet chicks are yellow.
What color are male chicks?
Assuming "Amberlink" means they are "sex links"?

Quote:
They are a hybrid that is feather sexed, not color sexed, so both sexes are the same color. There is no way to know what really goes into making them as the breeders keep that a secret, but the parent stock are likely hybrids themselvs. But to get feather sexed chicks you need a pure rapid feathering gene roo ( Most likely White Leghorn based ) And a slow feathering gene hen breed. ( most likely a production Red strain) and that produces rapid feathering pullets and slow feathering roos.

i have 5 special blacks coming .i called asked ,an said dekalb.what i found was a reverse-cross/rhonde based hybrid

I have five Amberlink hens that I bought at TS last spring, I have only good things to say about them, my hens are white with smudges of light red on ends of feathers they lay a very nice sized brown egg every day.

Thanks so much for the replies! I just now seen them.

I ended up with an Amberlink last Summer, from an assorted straight run bin at Tractor Supply..
I had NO idea what she was at first, but she was beautiful!!

Anyway, I finally found some at TSC this year, yay!! lol I bought 4... However....
One is a bit different in color. That's why I wondered about the coloring of males.
Three are the light yellow, similar to the White Leghorn chicks..
And one is a yellow with a tan stripe down her back.
Wondering if some Amberlink chicks look this this one, or if I have some other breed by accident! lol

I have 5 more on order in late April. Love Amberlinks!

Anyone have any photos of their Amberlinks to share (adult or chick)?
smile.png

Chris09 says:

Amber-Links are a "Reverse" Cross. They are the offspring from a Delaware Rooster over a Rhode Island Red Hen.
With this cross the Males would be Yellowish Gold in color and the Females would be White with the traditional Delaware pattern and may have some Red bleeding through in the back...

I say a "Reverse" Cross because a more traditional sex-link cross would be a Rhode Island Red Rooster over a "Silver" Hen..
(Silver being a Columbian type pattern Hen)

Chris

Mt Healthy sells them and they likely also sell to feed stores and TSC. The parent company, DeKalb/Hendrix/I.S.A. are not showing them on their home page any longer, so it is possible that Mt Healthy is "rolling their own".

Back
Top Bottom