Rooster suggestions

May 9, 2020
Clark County, KY
Will be getting a new batch of pullet chicks this spring,
Predominantly Amber Stars, Barred Rocks and a few Dominiques, Buff Orpingtons.
Tentatively thinking Buff Orpington Roosters , but also considering Black Australorp, New Hampshire, or Amberlink.
Those breeds with the exception of Amberlink would result in sex linked chicks from the barred hens correct?.
Also wondering if since the Amber Star hens are white or predominantly white would they still produce sex links from a red breed like New Hampshire?
I think I asked this last year or so, but wondering if anyone has used an Amber Star/link, ISA Brown rooster? If so how did it work? Aggressive? Able to fly up?

Whichever rooster that is similar in size, behavior, and similar needs to the hens and the environment you live in is a good choice for a rooster. They don't have to be the same breed as the hens but they do need to be similar, which helps them get along better and prevent less injuries.
I'm not sure how the breeding part works so I hope someone else can answer that for you!

If you want a sustainable flock, I’d choose a purebred rooster.
You listed my first choice, Barred Rock, in the hen group.
But I believe you could make some nice crosses with the Aussie and the Barred Rock hens. I prefer Australorps over Orpingtons, for all around production, plus, I don’t enjoy washing and trimming the soiled fluff on the back ends. Australorps have nice temperaments, they’re competitive, but calm, brood well. Orps can be lazy, heavy feeders, too. Just my thoughts.

Those breeds with the exception of Amberlink would result in sex linked chicks from the barred hens correct?
Yes, you would get sexlinked chicks if you crossed hens of Barred Rock or Dominque with roosters of Buff Orpingotn, or Black Australorp, or New Hampshire.

Also wondering if since the Amber Star hens are white or predominantly white would they still produce sex links from a red breed like New Hampshire?
I think Amber Star hens have the silver gene. If I am correct, then yes they can produce sexlinked chicks when bred to a New Hampshire Rooster.

Back
Top Bottom