American Game Bantams??

domromer

Songster
12 Years
May 11, 2007
Flagstaff,AZ
It's only July and I'm already thinking of next years flock!!! I have been reading some books lately and American Game Bantams have peaked my interest. My book says they are usually friendly, good mothers and generally very hardy. I like the looks of them as well. I was wondering if some other AGB owners could chime in with some thoughts on the breed or maybe some pictures. Also does anyone know of a hatchery where they can be bought with a small minimum order?

Mine are curious and the least afraid of me of all my breeds. They barge around & steal food and want to be involved in everything.

They ARE tough. My rescued hen survived frostbite, bumblefoot & pneumonia from being out in a coyote trap, She only has one toe left on each foot, but zooms around fine. She just hatched a baby last night.
You'll love 'em. Just remember they are pretty good fliers.......
4477_p1010101.jpg

4477_pa200170.jpg

Quote:
Yes, they differ in all aspects: shape, size, and color varieties.

They are like night and day.

However, I do not know any breeders personally.

Drop me an email and I can send you a link to a forum where you can see some photos.

Last edited:
The American Game Bantams actually have documented game blood in them, which were crossed with Red Jungle Fowl in the 1940s to save the pit bantam heritage from the abolition of pit fighting. My readings indicate Old English Game Bantams may not have any game fowl blood; and if they do, it is probably dwarfed by the amount of genetic background from the Dutch and Nankins (either directlly or via the Seabright breed). I think its rediculous that people even bother to dub these birds. The requirement should be removed from the stadard or made optional.

I appreciate Cuban Longtails sentiment, but she got one thing wrong. Every accpeted color varieties of AGBs (I'm working on an additional one - red quill), and all have their OEGB counterparts (e.g. red pyle, brown red, black, white, etc.). OEGBs just have a lot more.

Back
Top Bottom