American Game Bantams??

Travis,

Also, regarding your bird here, an AGB's tail should be 50* up from the horizontal. This fellow's tail is sitting way too low. He may be an cull from someone's AGBs, so I would be hesitant to use him in your breeding if you're wanting to show. Good Silver Duckwings are relatively easy to come by for AGBs, so you might as well start with good birds from a known source.

You're not bothering me at all. With as much help as I've gotten here, I can pay it forward a little.

Yea, these are wayyyy better photos. The comb is not as bad as I thought it was, it was just the angle and the blur. This could be a splash Dutch Bantam: light weight, blue legs and white earlobes, all breed characteristics for the Dutch.

Some Dutch lines have a little OEGB in them, which could be the case with your little fellow here. Since blue is rarish in Dutch, someone may have recently bred in a splash OEGB to a black Dutch and haven't quite bred their line back to full Dutch conformation. BTW, the hard core Dutch folks are irrationally anti OEGB in terms of outcrossing. It's funny because the Japanese bantam folks don't even pause when they speak of using OEGBs to introduce new colors into their little Chabos. Dutch fanciers? You'd have less flack breeding in a barnyard mutt. As far as they are concerned, a line will never be Dutch again if you breed in OEGB, which is funny because some sources I've seen suggest that Dutch were one of the foundation breeds for OEGB.

For me, it might be time to shop elsewhere if that F&S won't even tell you what breeds they were selling. That's bogus! It's terrible customer service.  

I know this is an old thread, but i found your comment here very interesting, as i have run into this myself. I wish they would just create two different classes of Dutch Bantam... A Holland one and an American one. :)

There seems to be a lot of questions regarding the difference between American Game Bantams and Old English Game Bantams. In my opinion, OEGB's have gone far from the standard they were originally meant to fit under. Mostly due to fad breeding and what was winning at different times at shows. I raised OEGB for years and would get frustrated when an OEG bird that was basically a dubbed Dutch bantam would place higher than more "traditional"bodied/harder feathered birds

The AGBs stay much more true to their game heritage. I drew up an illustration that shows the TYPICAL differences you'd see in a show pen from each breed. Please note that these arent ALL of the differences, just a few I've seen myself. Also, these are based on what you'll see in show pens... Not necessarily the SOP definitions (Which, Im aware that those two things should ideally mean the same thing, but unfortunately they dont)

Back
Top Bottom