Advice on rehoming kittens?

Also some shelters actually advise against rehoming black cats around Halloween, depending on where you are, since unfortunately people can be awful with them during spooky season
Yes, thanks for bringing this up as I was about to!
Very common for people to torture and kill black cats around Halloween.

So first let me say mama Karma is getting spayed on Oct. 25th so this doesn't happen again. Dad Sammy is a feral neighborhood cat that my husband dotes on and refuses to get him neutered. He's a fantastic mouser and lives under our feed shed. That said...

Karma had her first (and only) litter on Aug. 13th, five beautiful little kitties. They are very healthy and growing so fast! They play and explore all over the house all day long. I've already got them litter-trained, and am working on socialization with our two other cats, three dogs, and the grandkids. They aren't weaned yet, but almost. They eat dry kitten chow, supplemented with cooked chicken or tuna from time to time. I just took them to the vet a few days ago for their first round of shots, and have de-wormer on hand when they're just a bit older.

My question is how to best go about rehoming them? I will ask for payment, to cover their vet bills and to ensure they don't just go to someone who'll feed them to their pet dragon or whatever. Craigslist scares the heck out of me, to rehome a pet - but I may have to. Facebook marketplace? Somewhere else? What approach should I take?
Hello! Getyourpet.com is a great site to re-home the kittens, however you won't get any $, the adopter pays $100 fee for dogs, not sure if it's cheaper for cats. The $ paid.is used to run the site. I've used it for our last two dogs.

Meanwhile wondering how far away you live…google distance. About 6.5 hours away 🤔husband would kill me if I got another animal.

Seriously your kitten are so adorable! I hope you find a good home for them. You may be able to list in the MO thread and see if anyone is interested in a kitten. There’s also a website (not sure if it’s adopt a pet or pet finder) that would allow you to list and help vet/application process.

There’s also a website (not sure if it’s adopt a pet or pet finder) that would allow you to list and help vet/application process.
Yes, I looked into it. Petfinder only lists animals at shelters or being fostered by rescue groups, not individuals. Adopt-a-Pet will - they do all the listing and vetting, and receive payment to benefit shelters and rescues. But the individuals who put the pets up for adoption receive nothing.

I'd rather recoup my expenses for their vaccinations. So I'll have to list them myself.

Yes, I looked into it. Petfinder only lists animals at shelters or being fostered by rescue groups, not individuals. Adopt-a-Pet will - they do all the listing and vetting, and receive payment to benefit shelters and rescues. But the individuals who put the pets up for adoption receive nothing.

I'd rather recoup my expenses for their vaccinations. So I'll have to list them myself.
I don’t blame you. We fostered a dog that my mom adopted (technique for it for her for her bday, but fostered it for 6 weeks until she could get her). She had all the worms so needed lots of meds, plus normal shots and such. It’s not cheap.

Ditto holding off on the black kitties' adoptions until Halloween has passed. I volunteered for several years for an SPCA in a major metropolitan area and that was our policy, too.

We adopted our dog last year from this website https://www.rescueme.org. You can post photos and details about each/all of the kittens and the prospective adopters can search for specific critters, breeds, etc.

Perhaps once mamma kitty has her spay scheduled, you can work a sneak plan to get papa kitty into a carrier, too and take both critters in for the Big Fix! Sometimes the males look as if they still have the family jewels for a while, even though they've had "the snip". Ask the vet to give papa kitty the least noticeable pre-surgical shave so as not to draw attention to the area! And check to see if there are organizations in your area that help offset the costs, or if your vet will work with you on that. Best of luck!

Beautiful kitties! You are doing wonderful work, so glad.
Karma obviously also has Siamese in her pedigree, having those colorpoint kittens. My personal favorite color pattern, and really will be easy to place them.
You should be able to place ads with photos at all the vet clinics in your area, just call and ask. Also pet stores, groceries, any place with a bulletin board. Must include pictures!
And it's not unreasonable to ask for the name of potential buyer's veterinarian, if this isn't going to be a first pet for them. And two kittens going together is fun, unless they already have cats at home.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom