I am thinking of an implementation using a 2 channel wifi switch. I think this is an easy way to go and the only other items needed are the 12V power supply (3 amps?), the switch and the linear actuator. The switch is available from Ali Express:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000774084464.html

For about $18, I ordered the 12V version with the RF option and remote control for backup (save $3 if you don't want the RF version). This is also available from Amazon. Using Alexa and Samsung SmartThings, I can set up routines to open and close the door based on sunrise and sunset. For example, open at sunset minus an hour and close at sunset plus 30 minutes.

Unlike most designs, my duck coop has a flap door, not a sliding door. It is hinged at the bottom so when open, it becomes a short ramp. I think I can use a 6" stroke actuator mounted vertically on the inside of the coop and attached to the side of the door a few inches from the inside bottom. I will have to do some measuring.
Since the last time I was posting on this thread, (almost a year ago) I have since ordered and setup a SONOFF 4CHPROR3, also from Aliexpress but shipped from the US. Paid only US $31.24 shipping and handling included. WiFi and RF capable 4 Channel Smart Switch. Channels 1 & 2 used to control the Actuator and channels 3 & 4 can be used for lights, feeder, water, temp/humidity control, ect...

In the video it is also setup with a Safety Return Up/Down feature. In the background is a 2CH timer version.

Last edited:
Nice!! That would definitely do the trick! Thanks for sharing!!
Posted an updated version of the Safety Return Up/Down Feature, and using a SONOFF 4CHPROR3 to manage the opening and closing of the door according to sunrise and sunset times, to include temperature. Replaced the laser though beam (less cost) with a simple pressure switch (two pieces of aluminum tubing) and added a counter to limit the attempts to close while keeping the door as closed as possible. Posted #141. Just FYI.

I really wish I would have seen this earlier. Almost a year ago. I hope you found your answer. If not, here is a diagram for your specific relay and timer. Or this one.

The issue with yours, as it is in the video, is that you only connected the power wires to terminal (term) 4 (positive red) and term 3 (negative black). What you needed to add is wires to term 2 (negative black) and term 1 (positive red). There is NO "ground". Take that off and use insulated wire.

But I would use this Diagram that uses 2 SPDT timers. There are no external relays to do the switching of the polarity, they are built into the timers. Makes wiring so much easier and saves on battery power. Just FYI.

Diagram 2x TH15A or 2x TM615 timers.

Diagram 2x TH15A timers alt version.

Photo of 2x TH15A timers alt version setup.
Hi Mouthpear,

Thank you for creating the clear diagrams.

I'm trying to get the "Diagram 2x TH15A timers alt version" up and running. however i'm running in to a problem. It seems that the timer switches wont work with 12v? I first tried to hook everything up with your diagram with no luck. I tried setting the timer and the manual on/off switch. Both ways the multimeter stays at 00. So then i tried to hook up the timer directly to the 12v source without anything else attached but then the timer switch also doesn't work. The LED light wont turn on and i'm not reading any voltage. And if i'm looking at the timer unit it says it is rated for AC220-240v. So i'm getting the impression that this wont work with 12v? I got the exact same model as you (The THC15A).

I'm no expert at electronics so it is possible that i'm overlooking something really simpel. My starting point is a adapter from 220v to 12v (This is confirmed with the multimeter) And i'm definitely ending with a 12v linear actuator. But at this point its not hooked up because im testing with the multimeter.

What am i missing?

Hi Mouthpear,

I'm trying to get the "Diagram 2x TH15A timers alt version" up and running. however i'm running in to a problem. It seems that the timer switches wont work with 12v? I first tried to hook everything up with your diagram with no luck. I tried setting the timer and the manual on/off switch. Both ways the multimeter stays at 00. So then i tried to hook up the timer directly to the 12v source without anything else attached but then the timer switch also doesn't work. The LED light wont turn on and i'm not reading any voltage. And if i'm looking at the timer unit it says it is rated for AC220-240v. So i'm getting the impression that this wont work with 12v? I got the exact same model as you (The THC15A).

I'm no expert at electronics so it is possible that i'm overlooking something really simpel. My starting point is a adapter from 220v to 12v (This is confirmed with the multimeter) And i'm definitely ending with a 12v linear actuator. But at this point its not hooked up because im testing with the multimeter.

What am i missing?
You didn't miss anything. You just haven't connected the dots. The timer you purchased is most likely for 220-240 AC voltage. Where did you order it from? Please send me the link to where you purchased from. And a picture of the one you actually received? It is possible that you ordered a 12v timer but they may have sent you the wrong one.

Hi Mouthpear,

What am i missing?
Update?

I really wish I would have seen this earlier. Almost a year ago. I hope you found your answer. If not, here is a diagram for your specific relay and timer. Or this one.

The issue with yours, as it is in the video, is that you only connected the power wires to terminal (term) 4 (positive red) and term 3 (negative black). What you needed to add is wires to term 2 (negative black) and term 1 (positive red). There is NO "ground". Take that off and use insulated wire.

But I would use this Diagram that uses 2 SPDT timers. There are no external relays to do the switching of the polarity, they are built into the timers. Makes wiring so much easier and saves on battery power. Just FYI.

Diagram 2x TH15A or 2x TM615 timers.

Diagram 2x TH15A timers alt version.

Photo of 2x TH15A timers alt version setup.
@Mouthpear

So I looked over you youtube videos but the links above show as restricted in google.

But if I am correct then if I get two of the THC15A timers, a din rail with some blocks, a power supply and a 12in Linear Actuator then this youtube video is the correct one for wiring that setup together:

Then you are just using one timer for the morning open and the second for night close correct?

@Mouthpear

So I looked over you youtube videos but the links above show as restricted in google.

Yes you are correct. I have the diagrams restricted for a few reasons. One of is that I had it open to all to view and comment but someone decided to act a fool. Also I might put private information sometimes.

However if you or anyone wants access, all they have to do is request it and add a comment, when requesting, to where they are coming from, as in what website (with a link to the forum post). That way, if I have altered the diagram or updated it, I can give the person that additional information. It also give me the opportunity to give them acces to the whole folder of diagrams if they want to get further ideas.

Then you are just using one timer for the morning open and the second for night close correct?

Yes you are correct. One timer handles the opening in the morning, then shuts off preserving power. The other timer handles the closing in the evening, then shuts off preserving power.

This also helps by not needing to wire an external relay. It is not much but it helps.

Last edited:
Yes you are correct. One time handles the opening in the morning, then shuts off preserving power. The other timer handles the closing in the evening, then shuts off preserving power.

This also helps by not needing to wire an external relay. It is not much but it helps.
Ok on this I didn't see any literature on the switches but are they programmed each for an on/off time? like on for 2 minutes then off? I am using a current switch like that which I can program all the on/off cycles on one switch but with this set up I am thinking that I do as mentioned earlier which is programming an short on cycle then off for each switch.

I'll go back and submit a request again since I didn't include an info in the field.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom