Broody hen lying down a lot

Emrosenagel

Songster
Oct 2, 2020
Hello!

I have a 10 month old Cochin bantam (my problem chicken) who went broody back in January and hatched some eggs in February, as I had a really hard time trying to get her un- broody. I just gave up and gave her some eggs. Anyway, she is apparently ready to go broody again and is constantly sneaking into the nesting box, yelling at me, puffing up and so on. My question is, whenever I lock her out, she tends to wander around a bit and then just lie down. Is this normal for a broody hen?

Is she "lying down" or is she sitting down?

If she can't get in, she's likely just saying...well, I'll brood dirt right here.
She just randomly sits down. Doesn’t always yell at me when I approach but sometimes. For example, normally in the mornings before I let them out they all pace in the coop and scratch the hay. Today, she was laying down on the floor while others paced. She didn’t yell at me, didn’t move when I opened the door. Eventually she came out, walked around, had a drink, and then went right up into the nest.
I don’t remember exactly how she acted before when she went broody, but since this behavior only started when she decided it was time to brood again, I can only imagine they are connected.

Is she brooding while sitting down?

I'm not sure what you are asking I suppose. If a hen is broody and she's kicked out of the nest, she will just go sit somewhere else even if there's no eggs.

A photo of her may help? There's lying/laying down and there's sitting down/sitting/setting.

Hello!

I have a 10 month old Cochin bantam (my problem chicken) who went broody back in January and hatched some eggs in February, as I had a really hard time trying to get her un- broody. I just gave up and gave her some eggs. Anyway, she is apparently ready to go broody again and is constantly sneaking into the nesting box, yelling at me, puffing up and so on. My question is, whenever I lock her out, she tends to wander around a bit and then just lie down. Is this normal for a broody hen?

She just randomly sits down. Doesn’t always yell at me when I approach but sometimes. For example, normally in the mornings before I let them out they all pace in the coop and scratch the hay. Today, she was laying down on the floor while others paced. She didn’t yell at me, didn’t move when I opened the door. Eventually she came out, walked around, had a drink, and then went right up into the nest.
I don’t remember exactly how she acted before when she went broody, but since this behavior only started when she decided it was time to brood again, I can only imagine they are connected.

Is she brooding while sitting down?

I'm not sure what you are asking I suppose. If a hen is broody and she's kicked out of the nest, she will just go sit somewhere else even if there's no eggs.

A photo of her may help? There's lying/laying down and there's sitting down/sitting/setting.
I actually think she’s fine now. I was just over analyzing everything she was doing, but she acted fine today besides the bloodiness. Thanks anyway! Of anything changes with her, I’ll be back!

Back
Top Bottom