Door to coop

Erika Shumway

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2017
I'm curious for ideas for the door to the coop, that is Not powered by electricity And also doesn't require manually being open and closed twice a day. I was curious about hanging something in front of the door like a flap of carpet that they can push their way through in and out of. I am aware this will not keep Predators out, but will it at least help maintain any heat in side the insulated coop? And at least cut down on drafts I would imagine?

I hang plastic car floor mats in my pop holes to accomplish what your intentions are. My run is perfectly secure, so the pop hole doors are always open.

The important thing is to cut the flaps to fit exactly inside the opening, not overlap the opening. They need to move freely in and out as the chicken passes through from either side, or they won't be able to go though them. It also helps to have a slit down the middle, though the chicks will also push through at the sides of the flaps.

The learning curve to navigate these door coverings is minimal, and even chicks seem to figure it out fairly quickly.

I hang plastic car floor mats in my pop holes to accomplish what your intentions are. My run is perfectly secure, so the pop hole doors are always open.

The important thing is to cut the flaps to fit exactly inside the opening, not overlap the opening. They need to move freely in and out as the chicken passes through from either side, or they won't be able to go though them. It also helps to have a slit down the middle, though the chicks will also push through at the sides of the flaps.

The learning curve to navigate these door coverings is minimal, and even chicks seem to figure it out fairly quickly.

Thanks for your great idea! We just constructed a chicken coop in one corner of an old milk shed and needed some sort of flap to cover the small door to the run.

Back
Top Bottom