JamieSinn

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2024
Hi,

I recently bought a house that has an existing chicken coop that the previous owners kept chickens in. It has a manually latched door, and an interesting roost/nesting box setup?

I'm curious if there's any ideas y'all can provide about things I should change, or anything to add/remove from it!

Some rough dimensions.

Run:
12ft wide 20ish ft long.
Coop:
5ft interior height including peak of the roof - I have to crouch inside - and I'm 6'1.
3ish ft wide inside. It's tight to walk/crouch in - but doable.

My first list of questions, I'm sure more will pop up!

- There is a large PVC tube with a Y split at the bottom - this seems like it was used for feed or something? It's attached to the post with a hose clamp. Is this a good idea? Should I keep it or get rid of it (visible in the first exterior photo)

- It seems like some sort of sealant paint was used on the base in the interior - should I seal more of the coop? (visible in the interior photos)

- There are 12 nesting boxes/spots, and given the size of the coop/run - is 6 chickens a good starting count? or is there a better number?

- What kind of bedding should I use? I believe they previously used straw? But given that the nest boxes are at level with the (poop :lol: ) deck - is this a good idea?

- What kind of automatic door should I use? Is Chicken Run the standard go to? I'd still like to maintain the functionality of the existing door so I can get in to maintain it.

Some photos
1714348487859.png

1714348531575.png
1714348633393.png

1714348645447.png

1714348657469.png

Now - on a more interesting and fun thought - I have some ideas about how to automate/bring in some industrial automation into this coop - but wanted some feedback on the concepts I had:

- Nesting box occupancy detection (via a standard photoelectric switch - Allen Bradley Right-Sight's are what I have on hand - these will have a red light showing the target - will the birds be distracted by it? Think laser pointer + cat)
- Water level switches (low, mid, full)
- Feed weight sensors (4-20ma feedback - analog - to get an idea of how much feed is being consumed per day/etc)
- Cameras (Inside and out, likely going to use some Unifi cameras to tie into my existing infrastructure)
- Temperature sensors (Inside and out, Canadian winters and summers are quite polaizing, and I'm curious about the data)
- Coop door status (closed, open, etc)
Am I missing anything that would be cool to track status/info of?

Will the birds care too much about any wires being visible, or should I be putting them all inside of conduit?

It's too bad the coop isn't bigger for your convenience... the chickens won't care but you'll likely find it tiresome having to fold yourself to get inside it.

I assume the coop width you listed is strictly floor space, not including the 2 banks of nests? I'd likely remove nests on one side as long as that's not difficult and use that space for maybe a feeder (and a little additional floor space), or feed storage.
- There is a large PVC tube with a Y split at the bottom - this seems like it was used for feed or something? It's attached to the post with a hose clamp. Is this a good idea? Should I keep it or get rid of it (visible in the first exterior photo)
Feeder most likely. I find this style of feeder possibly problematic, as they can attract rodents since they stay out all the time (but you could possibly cap it to help with that) and depending on your climate, food can mold inside from humidity or water intrusion.
- There are 12 nesting boxes/spots, and given the size of the coop/run - is 6 chickens a good starting count? or is there a better number?
You certainly should have space for 6 in there, but depending on exact measurements I don't know how many more.

Here's a few other things to consider: How many eggs are you hoping to get each week? Are eggs your primary concern? A hen's optimal production period lasts roughly 18-24 months - will you be culling birds that are no longer productive or keeping them and adding on to the flock? Integration of new birds requires more than minimal space.

Some folks start off with too many birds and then end up with more eggs than they want, but when production drops off they find they don't have space to add more birds. Others overestimate how many eggs they might get and then find they're having to add more birds to actually meet the numbers they want.
- What kind of bedding should I use? I believe they previously used straw? But given that the nest boxes are at level with the (poop :lol: ) deck - is this a good idea?
You'll get a lot of different answers. Mine is, whatever is cheap and easy to get in your area. Wood chips are free for me so that's the bulk of the material in both coop and run.

Also a lip in front of the nests should help reduce the risk of eggs being kicked across the floor.
- What kind of automatic door should I use? Is Chicken Run the standard go to? I'd still like to maintain the functionality of the existing door so I can get in to maintain it.
Most of the well known door brands should work fine so pick the style and options that work for you. Like I don't have room for a door that swings out and I wanted a timer, so I ended up with a basic Chicken Guard.
Will the birds care too much about any wires being visible, or should I be putting them all inside of conduit?
Chickens don't generally care about wires. I don't know anything about all the technical stuff so can't help on that front.

I assume the coop width you listed is strictly floor space, not including the 2 banks of nests? I'd likely remove nests on one side as long as that's not difficult and use that space for maybe a feeder (and a little additional floor space), or feed storage.
Yes; the floor space not including the nests is 4ftx8ft - you can kinda see the seams of the sheet of plywood.

I don't expect it would be difficult - that's probably a good call for a feeder/feed storage spot. I wasn't super impressed with the PVC tube setup for food.
Most of the well known door brands should work fine so pick the style and options that work for you. Like I don't have room for a door that swings out and I wanted a timer, so I ended up with a basic Chicken Guard.
Awesome thanks! I'll poke around!

Here's a few other things to consider: How many eggs are you hoping to get each week? Are eggs your primary concern? A hen's optimal production period lasts roughly 18-24 months - will you be culling birds that are no longer productive or keeping them and adding on to the flock? Integration of new birds requires more than minimal space.
I'm not shooting for any one specific number - realistically anything over the ~15 the house goes through in a week would be great. Any excess I'm more than happy to give to friends/family, or keep for larger cooking/baking days. The local supplier has said to expect ~4-5 eggs per week per chicken - which is about what I would be happy with.

The eggs definitely would be the primary goal.
If they're no longer productive - I'd probably start culling and replacing as time goes.
Also a lip in front of the nests should help reduce the risk of eggs being kicked across the floor.
Good call - I didn't think about egg soccer.

About the wires..My coops are all in my pole barn. Running along the top of the purlins, roughly about chicken head height of standing on roosts, they've never bothered them. I just added a window in my one coop and I had to drop that wire and run it along the bottom of the 3 1/2" face side. Still haven't bothered it. I also run a coop heater on severe cold nights in both coops and again, nope.

Will young growing birds peck at them? 🤔
One of them wait and see or the be better safe than sorry things to think about.

I typed all that and was no help..sorry. 👍🤣

About the wires..My coops are all in my pole barn. Running along the top of the purlins, roughly about chicken head height of standing on roosts, they've never bothered them. I just added a window in my one coop and I had to drop that wire and run it along the bottom of the 3 1/2" face side. Still haven't bothered it. I also run a coop heater on severe cold nights in both coops and again, nope.

Will young growing birds peck at them? 🤔
One of them wait and see or the be better safe than sorry things to think about.

I typed all that and was no help..sorry. 👍🤣
That was actually a lot of help! It means I can run all the wiring to my hearts content within chicken-reach and not worry! Thank you!

I'm not shooting for any one specific number - realistically anything over the ~15 the house goes through in a week would be great. Any excess I'm more than happy to give to friends/family, or keep for larger cooking/baking days. The local supplier has said to expect ~4-5 eggs per week per chicken - which is about what I would be happy with.
That sounds about right, depending on breed. If you want higher production (and maybe fewer birds, to maximize feed to egg ratio) you could go with production hybrids, but their production period and lifespans may be shorter compared to a heritage breed (hence the commercial farms cycling through hens every 18 months or so). On the plus side if you aimed for ones with sexlinked traits you could also guarantee getting all hens, if you don't want a rooster.

Before you go and add all the high tech stuff, I’d suggest some improvements first.

Secure the outer run structure with a roll of hardware cloth; cover the walls and overhead, and make an anti-dig skirting. Leave the existing welded wire fencing for additional strength. Use arborist wood chips in the run.

For the coop itself, it looks to have ventilation but it may need more once the doors are closed. Maybe add a gable vent or even a window. Assuming you will use some sort of bedding system in the floor, I would suggest adding a short wall inside the coop in front of the nest boxes and a removable one at the door, such as fence or pallet slats - to hold back bedding and keep it separated from the nests and jamming the door, etc.

I’d consider changing the roost bars a tad so they’re ascending in height like an angled ladder, as chickens always prefer height.

There are too many nest boxes for how many chickens can utilize this coop and run space, even 6 would be too many for 20 chickens, lol. I would consider blocking off one side entirely and using that covered space for feed and other storage. You could probably dedicate a stall or two for an indoor feeder cubby area; I would keep water out personally so everything stays dry.

Never used one of those style feeders personally - looks like a pain to load. I’d get a different unit you can put inside the coop.

Good luck!

Some questions and thoughts....

What is the roof covered with?
Eave vents covered with 1/2" hardware cloth? Roof peak?
Which way does the coop face? From looking at pic facing door, according to shadows, sun on left?

It looks to me, that they built knee- walls (nest boxes) and then built walls to sit on top, need to add 3 on each eave side for 2' oc minimum. I would add one in center in rear.

Depending on your wood cutting craftyness and how serious you want to take this, here's a couple thoughts if this set up was mine.
I would jack the roof up 2' or frame the bottom and drop the floor. Lesser of the 2 evils?
I would (in my climate) cantilever out the sun wall 3' for poop boards with windows. 4' roof attached to underside of existing roof overhang would give you roughly 1' overhang on your new addition.
This could be built with chickens living in it and in the end you have 4' open walk space and head height (bumping your head is gonna get old fast)

Back
Top Bottom