I'm not worried about the eggs getting rolled out of the nests. The hens generally make a nest by scratching that holds the eggs well. But I'd want about a 4" or 5" lip on the bottom of those nests to keep the chickens from scratching poop and trash from the middle into those nests.

I don't see anything wrong in principle with extra roosts or nests except where they take up space you could otherwise use. I don't know how many chickens you will wind up with over time (You will need replacements as they grow older and lay less) but generally count on needing one nest for every four hens. Two nests for 8 hens, three nests for 9 hens for example. Often they only use one or two but often doesn't mean every time. Sometimes you get a hen that likes to spread out. I like the extra flexibility an extra nest can give you.

Same type of thing with roosts. I've seen a lot of different recommendations for length of roost you need per bird. I've had success with giving 9" per bird but there is nothing wrong with giving more if you have the space. If those are only 3 feet long I'd be tempted to tear the nests out and put them along the sides in the far back. Maybe along both sides.

How do you plan to gather the eggs in the nests back under the roosts? Crawl through the poop under those roosts? Personally I'd tear those nests out regardless of what else you do.

I doubt that PVC pipe was used for feed, not out in the weather like that. You want your feed to stay dry. It looks like a good place to offer oyster shell which is not affected by water. But you want it to drain, you do not want standing water in it.

Secure the outer run structure with a roll of hardware cloth; cover the walls and overhead, and make an anti-dig skirting. Leave the existing welded wire fencing for additional strength. Use arborist wood chips in the run.
The wire fencing is embedded about 1ft into the ground - I'll add some more 1/2" hardware cloth on the perimeter - but I can't really add it overhead with the snow load we get here.
For the coop itself, it looks to have ventilation but it may need more once the doors are closed. Maybe add a gable vent or even a window.
It's hard to see from the photos - but there's big eaves vents throughout the entire sides. A window on the back wall isn't a bad idea.
I’d consider changing the roost bars a tad so they’re ascending in height like an angled ladder, as chickens always prefer height.
Good idea - I'll move them up!
There are too many nest boxes for how many chickens can utilize this coop and run space, even 6 would be too many for 20 chickens, lol. I would consider blocking off one side entirely and using that covered space for feed and other storage. You could probably dedicate a stall or two for an indoor feeder cubby area; I would keep water out personally so everything stays dry.
Yeah - the consensus seems to be to remove one bank and use that as storage.
What is the roof covered with?
Eave vents covered with 1/2" hardware cloth? Roof peak?
Which way does the coop face? From looking at pic facing door, according to shadows, sun on left?
Asphalt/Fibreglass shingles. I need to repair some of them as they weren't stapled properly in one spot.

The door faces due East, so making that a wall with windows a bit less easy.
Never used one of those style feeders personally - looks like a pain to load. I’d get a different unit you can put inside the coop.
Definitely plan on doing so.
I would jack the roof up 2' or frame the bottom and drop the floor. Lesser of the 2 evils?
I was considering dropping the floor - but raising the roof may be easier.

It looks to me, that they built knee- walls (nest boxes) and then built walls to sit on top, need to add 3 on each eave side for 2' oc minimum. I would add one in center in rear.
The boxes/plywood verticals aren't load bearing - and are just in place for separating the chickens

How do you plan to gather the eggs in the nests back under the roosts? Crawl through the poop under those roosts? Personally I'd tear those nests out regardless of what else you do.
The nesting box lid lifts up on each side for easy access - I forgot to mention that!
I doubt that PVC pipe was used for feed, not out in the weather like that. You want your feed to stay dry. It looks like a good place to offer oyster shell which is not affected by water. But you want it to drain, you do not want standing water in it.
Interesting!

Back
Top Bottom