Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hello! 🎉
My feather friends are doing well and I am too. They are all healthy now.
Although because of recent heat wave the weather has not been very comfortable, hoping it improves soon.

Hope everyone is doing well too 🎉

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Like everyone else just busy at the moment. Lambing and getting up in the night so brain just not there! We have a incubator full of different eggs, pheasant, duck, chicken bantams, guinea (just gone in) and a few pilgrim goose eggs. Been concentrating on upping our Pilgrim geese numbers and off today to pick up another girl for my lone boy, every other boys has his own. I tend to dip in and out of the forum when i need help with an issue and have found great advice, so keep it up!

Hi! Thanks for reaching out! We are doing very well here over in Scotland, currently have couple Indian Runners and Khaki Campbell. We had problem with fox getting through secured fences somehow so lost few birds but haven't seen it in about a year now. Have been very busy last year with guinea fowl hatching, over 80 eggs were found on friends farm, some eaten and destroyed but managed to hatch 58 of them! All grown birds have been realised back on farm ☺️

Hi - nice to hear from you! My two ducks Bella and Coogie-Boy are still doing well. I lost 8 ducks in 18 months (foxes and mink) before managing to keep these two for 18 months (so far) and they are adorable. I'm allergic to their eggs so they are just pets, but they coexist beautifully with wild mallard and geese on our 1/2 acre pond, and obediently follow me to their coop each night. Bella's eggs are often pinched by crow or rat (in the 15 mins the door opens each morning) but I think I'm happy with this pair. Coogie Boy is a gentleman (aka Bella is in charge) and he doesn't over-do things with Bella.

Hi, replying to just say hello to like minded chicken fans! We've been busy moving house (I can now give advice on how to move your chickens in the most calm, safe way when you move house, as managed it, was so pleased as I was SO stressed about it!). Chickens all settled in their new home and loving the fresh set of leaves to comb through for worms :)

Oh cute!! Sure thing!! We've been moving our chickens around a lot, as we've taken them from the front to the backyard. They're closer to me now so i hear them a lot more, which i like actually!
One of our girls went broody at the same time they collectively decided to lay all their eggs in one random place, so we got three more hens outta that. Plus a rooster I've since rehomed. Terrible luck that same hen got killed by the neighbor's dog (he broke through part of the fence; he didn't hurt anything else but Eggle was a feisty mama. Honestly a terrible loss she was so sweet, even cooed at me when she was broody.)

We've got six hens now: Cheese, Pachi, Sweater Vest, Freckle, Miss Maisie and Miss Misha. They all share one tiny rooster named Sam, although we joke he shoulda been "Carlos, man of love" or just Casanova, he's such a sweetheart. All of his wives are significantly bigger than him, and he ADORES them. He's such a good rooster, always showing them choice food and dancing for them. Miss Maisie is like four times his size, and he LOVES her so much. All of these little fools have so much personality, i can't wait to build them a really GOOD coop!! I'll share when i do of course<3

I'm attaching some pics, including Sweater, the like. Cream one with some lil blotchies on her??? She's just a lil mutt but i think she's soooo pretty. And there's the rooster we rehomed! He was(is) so much bigger than my lil kikiriki rooster!! Absolutely gorgeous too though, loved getting a video of him and Sam squaring up through a fence. (Them fighting was why i rehomed although obv i knew rehoming was coming with so few hens, Sam kept him in line a long time!) I thought some people might like to see two roosters flaring up at each other, i always think it's so cool to see! My apologies that it's so hard to see!!! (Moving blanket is just a temp wind block lol)
20240320_124455.jpg

20240108_105305.jpg
20240426_001720.jpg
20240320_124237.jpg

Attachments

• 20240320_124201.jpg
    20240320_124201.jpg
    699.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240320_124151.jpg
    20240320_124151.jpg
    659.9 KB · Views: 7
Hi, checking in, I ended up with 11 hens and 1 rooster. Our rooster is just the cutest thing ever, total cute ham. BUT, neighbor took in a room mate with a totally untrained dog that killed 7/12 of my chickens. Super bad, I walked out during the middle of it and saw my hens dead and dying, really bad. And I live in an odd place in the middle of nowhere with a few neighbors...

So one rooster and four hens, 2 of them already could use a saddle and the another that was so scabbed on her back from that dog is now bare backed.

Not sure what to do. Easy answer is more hens but I can't do chicks and ordering pullets is from the place I did before is exponentionally higher, not willing to part with $150 for 3 pullets (includes hand delivery)

Back
Top Bottom