Why are my baby chicks scared of me??

shelby_417

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2018
I don’t understand why my girls are so scared of me. I have held them and taken care of them since we brought them home and they all act terrified of me and my boyfriend. And any time I try to hold them they flap their wings like crazy. Clara (my ameraucana) is the only one who isn’t so scared but still skittish. She will lay in my bed with me and sleep when it’s just us. The other girls are a different story. This is my first time raising chicks and I’m worried I’m doing something wrong and they won’t be bonded with me. I just want them to feel safe! They are almost 4 weeks old.

I don’t understand why my girls are so scared of me. I have held them and taken care of them since we brought them home and they all act terrified of me and my boyfriend. And any time I try to hold them they flap their wings like crazy. Clara (my ameraucana) is the only one who isn’t so scared but still skittish. She will lay in my bed with me and sleep when it’s just us. The other girls are a different story. This is my first time raising chicks and I’m worried I’m doing something wrong and they won’t be bonded with me. I just want them to feel safe! They are almost 4 weeks old.
:welcome

I place my hands in with mine palms up perfectly still. Let them get close to you they’ll peck you then step on to your palms. Thru this they learn not to fear you. Good luck

I've held mine and spoken to them twice a day since I got them they still don't really like to be picked up but if I sit in the run, 2 of my pullets and sometimes my cockerel will jump onto my lap to be petted but not held. IMG_20180513_094630970.jpg One even pecked at my arm if I quit. The other two, I make a point to pet them on the ground and talk to them. They are also all learning their names.

Freeze dried mealworms greatest training tool there is, put some in you hand, let them come to you. Once they figure it out, they'll be all over your hand/arm. PATIENCE is the main tool. And as it's been said, don't grab from above, I've learned scooping from under works ... middle & ring finger under/between their legs, the other fingers to brace. Again PATIENCE is the "trick".

Never thought I'd "tame" older girls but again PATIENCE & TIME, I had (5) 7month old Wyandottes running to me at the end of a month. Hang in there ...

Back
Top Bottom