Who uses a box fan?

critterlover

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
Connecticut
I would love to see photos of fans (I plan to use a box fan) in the coop and how you have it set up. Basically how high up, is it hanging from the rafters or sitting on a shelf? If you use an extention cord, how do you protect it from the chicken getting at it?

Also in warm weather do you run it 24 hours?

Photos would be great, but any tips would be greatly appreciated
smile.png

Funny to see this thread today. We just bought a box fan last night for our hens. 99 degrees today here. It's going to be a hillbillie ceiling fan when I install it. We put one on the porch at a cabin we have this way. I hung it with wire fron the rafters. It worked great for us while sitting on the porch on a hot day. Maybe this will help with your ideas.

Box fans work really well, they move a lot of air. Moving air is cooler. I hang my box fan from the ceiling. If you are going to put it free standing in the hen house, you need to find a way to keep them from hopping up on the fan. They will knock the fan over if there is a way to do it !

Ok I would like to see as well. One of my coops has a bathroom exhaust fan in it.

My second coop which is a old travel trailer I was going to put in a window fan. Just not sure to suck out the heat or have it sucking in fresh air.

I know hogs you suck out the air.

I just got one at walmart and I put it in the doorway or wire it up around the window. They love it. Stand right in front of it when it's on the ground. I have a wire door so this is perfect for me.

I have a box fan in my coop. I have two windows on on the east side and a large one on the south side. The window on the east is the exact same size as the box fan so it is sitting on the ledge with a bungie strap holding it in place. It runs 24/7 due to high heat and humidity.

Do the fans usually blow on the chickens/ towards the floor or do you generally point the fan so they will just keep the air moving above the chickens for circulation?

Back
Top Bottom