When do ducklings start quacking?

JStark

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
My three sisters here are two weeks old today, and yesterday afternoon (and this morning) it sounded a couple of times like one of 'em quack-liked. It wasn't a flat-out quack, but a far different noise than I've heard from any of them.

I just want to be sure it isn't some form of ducky whooping cough. They are all acting as normal as they ever have...

Mine have never quacked as early as two weeks. For us, the voices have started changing around 4 weeks for the early ones, with most having their quacks around 6 weeks.

Doesn't mean you can't have an early "quacker", though!

Wow! I just asked about this the other day! My runners are 2 weeks old, and I thought I had made them sick by letting the swim too young!! They are making some strange noises too! I am sooo happy that yours are doing this at a young age too!! My ducks are crazy big right now too! No one ever told me how old they were before they started quacking!!
th.gif

Mine are 6 weeks old, I have 3 Mallards and a Cayuga and one of the mallards and my cayuga are just starting to make quacking sounds in between cheaps. One of the mallards let out a loud actual quack on Monday but that was because she was getting "goosed" by one of the other ducks.
wink.png

Our runner susie started some quack-like sounds when she was about three weeks old, but seemed kind of astounded by her own sound - much like teenager boys when they start to mutate
smile.png

For a few days I did not heard her voice, and even her tweeting was moderate and shy. Then one day, at the morning foodrage she was quacking loud - made me proud: it's a girl!!!
clap.gif

When I bought my Pekin ducklings, the store said the were around 5 days old. That puts them at a day shy of 2 weeks. On is getting really good, already, and the wanna-be quack. (I am now questioning how old they really are.

Back
Top Bottom