What type of sand to use in my coop

tiffelliot

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 7, 2014
Central Illinois
HELP! I have decided to try sand in my coop and I can't seem to find the right type. I have read that sand with silica should not be used, but "construction sand" instead. I called my local quarry and they don't know what construction sand is (and at this point I don't either). They suggested FA-2, FA-6, Washed Torpedo Sand or Washed Mason Sand. I am so confused!

All regular sand is silica, I have no idea why someone would say silica is bad. They may have been referring to the dust, breathing a lot of any kind of dust is not optimal, but for the amount they get in dust bathing and scratching, it's not a problem.

Some sand is sharper and some intended for play applications. For a substrate it makes no difference, get the cheapest. "Sharp" sand will not be hard on their feet, might even keep the toenails in better shape
wink.png

I just got Step 2 masonry sand. It looks like playground sand, but perhaps a bit larger grained. I didn't really know what to get either, but the Step 1 masonry sand was more like clay, and the playground sand was dyed. So, I just got the only other option at Lowe's :)

Is there any kind of sand that should definitely NOT be used....I'm worried if they peck & ingest some of it. Is any type harmful?

I'd avoid specialty stuff, like used for sandblasting, for ex. If it's expensive, it might be because they added something to it or manufactured it from recycled glass or something.
Sand from the seashore might have some dried salt in it. I don't think this will hurt your birds, but the leached salt could poison nearby plants, if there is enough of it. Where my chickens are, it would just take out weeds, so even that wouldn't bother me much.

Cheaper is better, IMO.

Lowe's has this...comes in fine, medium & coarse.

To the OP...sorry if I'm asking too many questions in your thread, but I'm hoping these replies help you out too :thumbsup

Well, I did it! I went to the local quarry and bought 950 pounds of washed FA-1 (aka Torpedo sand) and it is the perfect type! The girls absolutely love it. They were dust bathing within minutes! 950 lbs gave me about 3 inches of coverage in the 4x4 coop and throughout the 4x12 covered run.

Back
Top Bottom