What type of sand should I use for my coop?

Crax

Chirping
Oct 4, 2020
Texas
I am looking to cover my 10 x 12 coop in sand, thanks to someone I figured out I need 2 tons to fill it, but I am now at the question: what type should I use? I pulled the descriptions of all the sands my local dealer has and they are

Arena Sand

Arena Sand is a special sand that is great for horse arenas. We have a few varieties that we sell for runs, stalls, and arenas. Give us a call, and we can send you some samples to make sure you get what you need for your four-legged friends.

Brick Sand / Masonry Sand

Brick Sand is a washed sand used by brick masons. Our Brick Sand meets ASTM C33 specifications for uniform application.

Concrete Sand

Concrete Sand is a washed sand used to mix concrete. Concrete Sand is a courser material than brick sand, and meets ASTM C33 specifications for uniform application.

Cushion Sand

Cushion Sand can either be screened or unscreened. Despite the name, Cushion Sand often contains at least some small rock and sometimes even bigger than that, and has at least some clay content. Cushion Sand is primarily used on construction sites for pipe embedment, on building pads around pipe, and under concrete work.

Manufactured Sand

Manufactured Sand is made when hard Limestone Rock is crushed down to sand. Particles generally range in size from 1/8” to fine powder.

Play Sand

Play Sand is a fine, clean sand, perfect for sand boxes. We offer a Play Sand that is washed and a type that is also unwashed.

Silica Sand

Silica Sand a specialized sand, that has many different uses. Silica Sand is a washed and dried material. It comes in various sizes ranging from a very fine material to an extremely course variety. Finer sizes of the material can be toxic to breath, and caution must be used during the installation of finer grades of Silica Sand.

Volleyball Sand

Much like Play Sand, Volleyball Sand is a fine, clean sand, that is great for sand volleyball pits. For serious enthusiasts, we have some sites that you can check out to get a feel for this sand on your bare feet.

I know not to use play sand and the volleyball sand sounds like it’s not a good idea either but of the rest which ones sound like they’d do the job?

I would go with concrete sand or cushion sand. It's nice that they will send samples. I would try that too see which is the best. I want to do sand too but haven't found anywhere close to get it from yet. My understanding is it needs to be pretty course.

I would go with concrete sand or cushion sand. It's nice that they will send samples. I would try that too see which is the best. I want to do sand too but haven't found anywhere close to get it from yet. My understanding is it needs to be pretty course.
Yeah I was thinking of the cushion sand, I heard you need sand with various grain sizes but I’m unsure if that’s true or not, thankfully I can always just go over there and see for myself before getting any.

Concrete sand... Here the brand is called Quikrete, I believe. Or if you order from a sand and gravel company, it's known as construction sand. But, I suggest mixing sand with SweetPDZ. Partially because it a dessicant to keep the poop dry and odorless, but mainly because sand is really heavy if you have a wood floor. Sweet PDZ is light weight, low in dust, dries the moisture and keeps away odor. I use it by itself on my poop board.

Back
Top Bottom