What did you do in the garden today?

Tornado sirens are going off. At least one tornado has been spotted, about 20 miles NW of me, and tornado warnings just north and NE of me. The rain just finally reached me now. It was oddly still and humid for the part half hour or so. My teen just got home about 5 min ago. She was driving home while the sirens were going off and I asked her if she was scared…”uh yes!” I was watching radar and knew her location, so I knew she would beat the storm bc she was really close to home.

Hoping any tornado damage is minimal.

Everyone is home and fine. Turns out spouse was also driving home while sirens blaring - the storms were right behind him. Oops…forgot he was driving home…concerned about teen…

a few tornados touched down north, and I think south, of us. Hoping they were short lived. Sounds like Michigan, Kalamazoo area, was hit with a strong tornado. Are you ok @Sally PB? Can’t remember what part of MI you are located.

I hate wind, too! Sand blasted skin, hair blown into my eyeballs & pollen or whatever debris is blowing that makes my nose drip all day...not a fan of wind...unless it is wind on a motorcycle.

To be honest, it was not rainy & was not supposed to be rainy when I went out there initially...but once I got into what I was doing, I was not going to stop. I did duck into the coop when it rained harder, but it kept starting & stopping...so yeah, it was rather warm so I kept at it. Now if it had been cold...or remotely chilly...no way, these achy bones cannot deal with Cold And Damp.
The job sites I went to today, windy, cold, got sand blasted and my nose was running so much I just wiped it on my jacket and kept on working. However at one site I had to walk down the electrical runs, which led me to needing to walk through a refrigerated warehouse FULL OF PALLETS UPON PALLETS OF STRAWBERRIES!!!! OMG IT WAS THE BEST SMELLING PLACE!!! 😱😍

There were also tons of snap peas. All of these were packaged, boxed and palletized. So much food!

I also went to a site that they were growing blueberries, so, so so so many. What a long day.

Hi Everyone!

I spent the evening weeding Thistles from my garden.
1715133676931.png
It was delivered a few years ago with some soil. I am trying to get rid of it slowly but surely organically, no chemicals.

Hi Everyone!

View attachment 3824992It was delivered a few years ago with some soil. I am trying to get rid of it slowly but surely organically, no chemicals.
I know we have them I spend the days walking the chicken yard.
if I can get them before they bloom I was told.

Hi Everyone!

View attachment 3824992It was delivered a few years ago with some soil. I am trying to get rid of it slowly but surely organically, no chemicals.

I've pretty much wiped out the Canada thistle that was growing in one of my raised beds. It's taken two years of chopping out every plant as soon as it came out of the ground. With no leaves getting energy from the sun, the roots eventually die out.

Hi Everyone!

I hate thistle. If you are on top of walking and inspecting the areas, every couple of days and you get them when small, this can work. Last year we had to employ herbicide to some larger clumps bc they were too vigorous, and deep digging was still not getting them all, and they spread underground. By spraying the herbicide with “shields” to prevent overspray, we could target just the thistle. This did help to finally manage the large clumps.

This year we have found some small ones that are very easy to pull. No herbicides required so far.

Wait, there's such a thing as NOT being covered in windblown dirt/sand/dust/manure?! Huh.....:: penning note to Nebraska::
😆 You're right! No way to avoid it. Especially near dustbathing chickens or cutting the grass. It can be a calm, windless day...yet I'm still totally covered with dust & have grit in my eyes.

The livestock is all out sunning.
The alpacas have been dusted for flies.
Awww, pics please! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom