What did you do in the garden today?

DH is out trying to shoot that little tree rat that keeps tearing up my garlic bed. :he He made a big mess last night tearing everything up.

I have bush beans coming up - yay!

& I planted the seed in DHs head on how to run water to all of my GreenStalks from the top so they will still spin & he is running with it. :yesss: I wanted to wait till next year, but I have a feeling I'll have water to them in the next few weeks. Man I love him. LOL

I work at a college - there are no strange looks for that anymore, that is the norm.
You got a tree rat? Squirrel or fruit tree rat? I had fruit rats once, neighbors said they were around for years, enjoying plum tree, grape vines, pear trees, etc. I set some of the Hav a Hart rat traps with fruit as bait. What caught them in minutes was when I added Fruit Flavor Zupreem pellets lol. Those little dudes had tunneled into my raised beds, were living in them! Destroyed what I planted in the raised beds by burrowing in the roots. Yes, I caught & relocated those ornery buggers.

Last edited:
Any idea what type of plant or tree this is?

Ok, a friend just texted me...a White Swamp Oak? Well, interesting...I did not plant it...I think a squirrel did, this pot was outside. Guess I will plant it in a nice spot outside. Oak trees are cool, right?

20240501_202941.jpg

Last edited:
move an established crown from one spot to another. Any tips?
You move them when they're dormant. Get around and under the whole root ball, try not to cut any roots (this task can be difficult. The lump you have left to move is heavy and awkward... Using webbing or tie down straps helps. Do not fertilize the new hole. Water frequently, yes, even in dormancy. You do not want the roots between the old and new dirt to get stressed out or dry. Treat it pretty much like you're moving a mature dormant fruit tree.

I have cucumbers, beans and tomatoes under cow panel tunnel this year. Beans are really packed. Kept this way hoping extra for girls and Cluck Norris.
I’ve noticed Ruston beans and pulling out ones w it. Is it impossible to crowd in places w high humidity? I have neem oil.
What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_7473.jpeg
    IMG_7473.jpeg
    664.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7472.jpeg
    IMG_7472.jpeg
    611.1 KB · Views: 8
I have cucumbers, beans and tomatoes under cow panel tunnel this year. Beans are really packed. Kept this way hoping extra for girls and Cluck Norris.
I’ve noticed Ruston beans and pulling out ones w it. Is it impossible to crowd in places w high humidity? I have neem oil.
What do you think?
Rust on bean plants

Zone 6b Gardner here!
We have lots of stuff coming up and a few blossoms coming through.
Strawberry blossoms pictured. 🍓

Have a question for 6b peeps,
Have you had your asparagus come back up yet?
My plants would be second year crowns this year. Let them grow and fluff out last year and trimmed them back before spring this winter.
Have yet to see any popping up. 😕
Is it to early or are they done for?
Goodmorning!!!
I'd thought I'd snap a picture so everyone could see what I was talking about.
This is what's going on with my asparagus right now.
Did I not cut them back enough? Are they dead?
And I wasn't sure if the green plants popping up were related to asparagus or not.
This is my second year with asparagus so any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240502_111156.jpg
    20240502_111156.jpg
    717.9 KB · Views: 9
Plum tree help. Cannot figure this problem out. I’ve looked into it for the past 2 years. I’m not sure if I have an insect problem, fungal or bacterial problem.

Often, on this particular American purple plum, the tips of the leaves will turn brown and come off too. But it begins with these “lesions” on the leaves. But, have not come across any guidance online with similar problem.

View attachment 3818462
View attachment 3818464
Have you sent these pictures to your local extension office? They might know...

What all have you tried as far as treatment?

Goodmorning!!!
I'd thought I'd snap a picture so everyone could see what I was talking about.
This is what's going on with my asparagus right now.
Did I not cut them back enough? Are they dead?
And I wasn't sure if the green plants popping up were related to asparagus or not.
This is my second year with asparagus so any advice is appreciated.
That green doesn’t look like asparagus to me. I’m in 8a, really b. Mine just started after transplanting. Bc of our hot days if I don’t catch in morning, they go to seed ugh.
Maybe wait a couple of more weeks?

Attachments

• IMG_7469.jpeg
    IMG_7469.jpeg
    929.1 KB · Views: 9
Have you sent these pictures to your local extension office? They might know...

What all have you tried as far as treatment?

Copper spray.

Just purchased another fungal spray, but instructions indicate when to use it and when past a certain growth phase, to then use something else. So, I’m back to copper I think. I’ll spray a bug spray too-I’ll see what I have.

I’ll call the extension office and see what they might have to say.

Back
Top Bottom