Weird hunching over/ruffled feathers/excessive quacking in my female mallard

yukonbeck2020

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2020
This is Becky, my mallard. She has always had a very spirited and sassy personality, but lately, she has been very stand-offish, doing some very gruff quacking and hunching her neck down/ruffling her feathers every time she sees me. In the picture, you can see that her neck is hunched down—I haven’t seen it extend up to its full height in a week or so. Also, her feathers are always ruffled. Any idea what’s going on?

Attachments

• BB4C5D5A-269C-4FA1-9238-F9A784C83658.jpeg
    BB4C5D5A-269C-4FA1-9238-F9A784C83658.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 102
This is Becky, my mallard. She has always had a very spirited and sassy personality, but lately, she has been very stand-offish, doing some very gruff quacking and hunching her neck down/ruffling her feathers every time she sees me. In the picture, you can see that her neck is hunched down—I haven’t seen it extend up to its full height in a week or so. Also, her feathers are always ruffled. Any idea what’s going on?
Our Khaki Campbell is doing the same thing right now. It’s been going on for several weeks. She’s been so moody, she even tried to take on our 60lb dog yesterday (thankfully, he’s a big baby and ran from her). She’s in the middle of a molt right now, so I expect it’s due to that. Any chance yours could be beginning to molt? If not, I second the broody possibility. Our Silver Appleyards get very weird when they go broody.

Sounds as if she is going broodyth
Sounds as if she is going broody.
This is the first time I’ve seen her like this (I’ve been a duck mom a little over a year). It’s all new to me, and I’ve seen conflicting advice online on what to do. We have a small flock, and only one male who is injured and cannot mate with her, so ducklings aren’t a possibility. What’s the best way to help her?

Our Khaki Campbell is doing the same thing right now. It’s been going on for several weeks. She’s been so moody, she even tried to take on our 60lb dog yesterday (thankfully, he’s a big baby and ran from her). She’s in the middle of a molt right now, so I expect it’s due to that. Any chance yours could be beginning to molt? If not, I second the broody possibility. Our Silver Appleyards get very weird when they go broody.
Oh wow! She does sound a bit moody and broody like my Becky! So I am a new duck mom (a little over a year) and have never experienced broody or molting behavior. I’ve researched both but there are no “sure signs” and I’m having trouble distinguishing which one (if not both) she is experiencing. What would you recommend to help her? Thanks!

Not much you can do except let it run its course if broody. Some try and break them but I just keep taking up eggs and as long as they come out daily to eat and drink I just leave them alone. But boy they can sure be crabby.
If starting to molt then just make sure she is getting a good diet and maybe give her some yummy meal worms daily for extra protein so she'll have help with new feathers growing in. If I was voting I'd say she is broody.

Oh wow! She does sound a bit moody and broody like my Becky! So I am a new duck mom (a little over a year) and have never experienced broody or molting behavior. I’ve researched both but there are no “sure signs” and I’m having trouble distinguishing which one (if not both) she is experiencing. What would you recommend to help her? Thanks!
I agree with the others to just let it run its course. Just make absolutely sure she’s eating and drinking enough. We had one go broody and didn’t pay close enough attention to her food and water intake. They forage all day and have unlimited access to pellets, so we assumed she was leaving the nest to eat when we weren’t out there. A month later, I had to give all the ducks a shot in their breast muscle and when I got to her, I realized she was just bones under her feathers. We broke her broodiness immediately and started work to get her to put weight back on, but it took a long time for her to get healthy and back to her old self. Extra protein is very important when regrowing feathers too. Are you in an area that has cicadas right now? Ours are eating an incredible amount each day currently and it’s helped a lot with weight gain, molting, and general flock happiness. Cheaper than meal worms too, which is nice.

Back
Top Bottom