Weight of a Dressed & Cleaned Coturnix Quail

rick54

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 5, 2013
Rockford, Michigan
I was wondering if anyone who is into Cots as strictly a meat bird for the table, could tell me what a good consecutive weight in oz. would be for a cleaned and dressed quail?

Sometimes while shopping with the wife at the store, I find myself perusing the frozen turkeys, ducks, etc. and hoping that someday someone will develop a quail that ranks in size with those small frozen Cornish hens you find in a twin pack. I believe the twin pack weights 2.2 lbs. which puts each bird at 1.1 lbs. At the moment, I think it is really wishful thinking!

There is a restaurant in my town that is boasting of serving quail on their dinner menu. The restaurant isn't open yet for me to go see, but one would think that the quail, whether they serve one or two on a plate, would have to be of pretty good size in order to make the offering worth of the price they're probably asking for.

Thanks in advance for the dressed weight number.

For some reason I have this mental picture of a quail being like eating frog legs in a fine restaurant. Kind of like you shake the fried batter off the tiny leg bone, only to find a small morsel of meat, barely enough to let one develop a sense of taste. Then afterwards you can use that leg bone as a toothpick to clean away that small morsel of meat lodged in your teeth and never really made it to where it had to go in order to curb ones appetite!

I had some around 14oz on the foot. I never weighed them dressed to see but I'd guess 10oz or so. However 14oz is a true Jumbo Coturnix. Most people that call there quail Jumbo aren't.

Not everyone eats the same amount. While I eat 6 Jumbo I also order the Porter House cut & wish there was more meat on it. Others may eat a 6oz streak & only get half way through it before making a comment about not being sure if they can finish it. Those people would probably be quite happy with one quail.

Thanks Kingmt for your comments, they do help me to form an opinion. To the health wise folks, a portion of meat is 4 oz. Then again, not being one of those folks, but more of a moderate, a good evening might include a couple roast quail, a couple of toddies, and a little desert, all in moderation of coarse!

Back
Top Bottom