Was there a reason?

Draconic

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2024
So my seven eggs hatched today, but, there was a lot of complications and I'm just wondering why that might have been. They all managed to survive, as of now at least, but this morning they all started to crack out of their eggs, some actually made really large cracks in their shells, and one fully hatched on their own, but the rest, despite their progress just sorta stopped mid way through. I waited for a few hours before my mom came home and helped me break them out of their shells, they were getting really bloody because their sacks had dried and shrank around them and every time they tried to break out or move, it'd make them bleed.

I was wondering what went wrong? My incubator has no way to check humidity, so I don't know what it was at, but it had drained over an entire bottle of water the day prior, so I assumed it had been good. I would like to know what went wrong so this doesn't happen again next time. As of now, all seven chicks are running around and drying off, they seem happy and well now that they're finding their footing, I know it must have been painful for them and I feel really bad about it, but this was the first time I've ever hatched eggs, I wasn't really sure of what to do at this point, I thought they'd to it themselves since they had made so much progress on their own.

Attachments

• 17beae8b-ecfa-4e78-a878-d082c32af684.jpg
    17beae8b-ecfa-4e78-a878-d082c32af684.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20240411_141823_Discord.jpg
    Screenshot_20240411_141823_Discord.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 10
Congrats on the new chicks!

You'll need to get a hygrometer. You can get a cheap thermometer/hygrometer that would be better than nothing. Humidity could have been too high through the whole incubation or too low, which I suspect, and you don't know so it's hard to go further to figure out what went wrong.

Here's a link to one of the cheaper ones and another.

Congrats on the new chicks!

You'll need to get a hygrometer. You can get a cheap thermometer/hygrometer that would be better than nothing. Humidity could have been too high through the whole incubation or too low, which I suspect, and you don't know so it's hard to go further to figure out what went wrong.

Here's a link to one of the cheaper ones and another.
Thank you! Yes, I'll look into buying one of these, so this doesn't happen again in the future if I hatch more eggs after these guys. They're all still doing really well, despite their rough start, so that's good. Hopefully they'll grow strong and healthy

Back
Top Bottom