Urgent: Splayed leg in day-old? Advice please!

My Pretty Pekins

Songster
Apr 25, 2019
Somewhere in the English Countryside
My Coop
My Coop
Some of you who follow my flock thread (HERE) might be aware that we hatched our first incubator eggs yesterday. Or rather, one hatched... and we think the others aren't going to, but this is beside the point.
We noticed that the chick was slipping and carefully switched the liner, but this appears to have been too late as I think we've a case of splayed leg/crooked foot on our hands. Here are some photos, I'd appreciate any advice you have for me!

20210211_134817_resized.jpg

20210211_134857_resized.jpg

20210211_134943_resized.jpg

20210211_134947_resized.jpg

20210211_135002_resized.jpg

Paper towels are too slick. I hve unsuccessfully tried a small rubber band to fix spraddle legs. Mine was from a paper towel too. Try rubber drawer liner or shavings. Good luck with the chick

As can be seen I've tried using elastic... nothing appears to be happening, the leg (whilst a little better, it's not out to one side it's more aligned with the front now) is still not great at all... please help, I don't want to lose the only chick...
This rubber band is malpositioned, as the bands have to be right above the feet to work, and not above the hocks.

This rubber band is malpositioned, as the bands have to be right above the feet to work, and not above the hocks.
Thanks for the tip! Do you have a rough guide as to how tight? Because when the chick lays down (it's pretty sleepy and doesn't tend to stand up a lot, I'm not sure whether this is due to the splayed leg?) it still sticks out, straight not diagonal, about level with the head.

Thank you, did you ever manage to fix the splayed leg? What did you use?
I have both been successful and failed at correcting splay leg. I agree the band is in the wrong place to have any effect.. Vet wrap, is good stuff to have on hand. The small container has been a great choice as well.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it/

It's a genetic weakness BOUND to breed forward NOT an incubation error, IMO.. I use paper towels ALL the time.. but not all are created equally with smooth/roughness.

With no friends to keep it company.. I MIGHT consider culling. Well, I would cull.. I think it's the right thing to do.. for MY flock..

If continuing to "fix".. consider dosing directly to the beak with some poultry nutri drench (amino acids help), bird vitamins, or rooster booster brand Poultry Booster. :fl

Back
Top Bottom