Urgent: Splayed leg in day-old? Advice please!

I have both been successful and failed at correcting splay leg. I agree the band is in the wrong place to have any effect.. Vet wrap, is good stuff to have on hand. The small container has been a great choice as well.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it/

It's a genetic weakness BOUND to breed forward NOT an incubation error, IMO.. I use paper towels ALL the time.. but not all are created equally with smooth/roughness.

With no friends to keep it company.. I MIGHT consider culling. Well, I would cull.. I think it's the right thing to do.. for MY flock..

If continuing to "fix".. consider dosing directly to the beak with some poultry nutri drench (amino acids help), bird vitamins, or rooster booster brand Poultry Booster. :fl
I have a feeling that in this case it might be our error. Because it was absolutely fine at hatching, but we noticed it sliding around and lo and behold the next morning there it was, legs splayed out.

I'll keep using the small container and see what I can do about nutri drench or similar.

You will have to feed and water it every two hours as long as it is not able to get there by itself.

ETA: Line the brooder with some old terry cloth for a better grip, and when it is a little stronger, put it in a prewarmed, very narrow coffee cup, which will make it try to climb the cup walls to get out and by doing so, it will push the femur back into the right place.

Last edited:
ETA: Line the brooder with some old terry cloth for a better grip, and when it is a little stronger, put it in a prewarmed, very narrow coffee cup, which will make it try to climb the cup walls to get out and by doing so, it will push the femur back into the right place.
As I do not know if you read this added text, I just copied it here for you.

Attachments

• fix-splayed-baby-chick-legs-with-hair-band-and-straw.jpg
    fix-splayed-baby-chick-legs-with-hair-band-and-straw.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 18
This is the exact thing that happened to my boy, forest. I also used rubber bands to help redirect his growth. Now, he is fully grown and can sort of walk. His toes are all curled up and he steps on his feet. Oppisite of what he had as a chick. Keep the rubber bands on ur guy/girl and make sure to let them try to walk. They need the excercise.

Thank you all for the advice! S/he managed to stand, supported, for about half an hour in a glass lined with some non-slip fabric and then fell asleep. I didn't want to make anything worse so I've moved her/him to a wider cup where s/he is now happily peeping. There doesn't seem to be any pain or anything, thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom