Turkey egg candling day 4

You should see some movement by now. No, you are not looking from the wrong end but if I am in question, I look at the pointy end to double check. You should see an air sac clearly at the large end. I have big cabinet incubators so at day 14 when I candle, I just pull the whole tray out and never touch the egg unless it is bad or in question. I have the "cool-lite" like they sell at GQF. It makes it so fast and easy to candle. You should see viens by now. It is also possible they are not fertile. This is not the breeding season for turkeys. Your turkeys are only laying now because of your artifical light from your heat lights. I have seen pea fowl lay in the winter due to artifical light. This kept them from laying during the breeding season so the breeder got NO pea chicks that year. Not the exact same as turkeys but thats why I have no light anywhere near my birds. Just look for viens and some movement. You don't always see movement every time you candle.

Last edited:
We have about 20 turkey eggs in the bator with chickens. I have no clue about Turkeys or poults. I just always wanted Turkeys, but they are extremely hard to find where we live. My question is how do you keep your poultry warm without a light. We have some pretty fragile breeds that I believe would not be very hardy to cold temps. The only pen we don't have a light in has a buff orphington rooster and two hens (RI and Black Astrolorp). They still are laying most everyday. I think this crazy warm winter has thrown the birds off with their breeding seasons.
yippiechickie.gif

We have about 20 turkey eggs in the bator with chickens. I have no clue about Turkeys or poults. I just always wanted Turkeys, but they are extremely hard to find where we live. My question is how do you keep your poultry warm without a light. We have some pretty fragile breeds that I believe would not be very hardy to cold temps. The only pen we don't have a light in has a buff orphington rooster and two hens (RI and Black Astrolorp). They still are laying most everyday. I think this crazy warm winter has thrown the birds off with their breeding seasons.

Warm has nothing to do with egg laying. It is the amount of daylight they recieve. Even if you don't have a light on your orps, they may still see some extra light. Chickens do lay more regullary than turkeys. Turkeys don't need any extra heat here in the lower 48. Just some kind if a shelter or wind break.

yippiechickie.gif

What breeds do you have? I don't put heat in the barn but if I know it is going to be -15 or more I will shut the door between the rooms in the barn overnight so they can conserve the body heat. I also give them another layer of straw on the floor so the ducks on the floor have more to snuggle in. I have been known to make a straw room if I thought they needed it.

I had Christmas lights on in the barn but have turned them off two weeks ago and we are still getting duck, chicken and turkey eggs and I have seen lots of mating.

yippiechickie.gif

What breeds do you have? I don't put heat in the barn but if I know it is going to be -15 or more I will shut the door between the rooms in the barn overnight so they can conserve the body heat. I also give them another layer of straw on the floor so the ducks on the floor have more to snuggle in. I have been known to make a straw room if I thought they needed it.

I had Christmas lights on in the barn but have turned them off two weeks ago and we are still getting duck, chicken and turkey eggs and I have seen lots of mating.

Hi, My name is Nancy. I have 11 turkey eggs my boyfriend found them while he was lanscaping. The mother was there but they didnt see her and accidently plowed through a bush where she was sitting on them.She never came back . My boyfriend went back and brought the eggs home. we put them in a incubator 99.5 degrees with water for humidity. This was April 30, 2012 in massachusette it been two days that they been in the incubator. How will we know if they are fertile? Candled them we see nuttin. Please help! Thanks!

Hi, My name is Nancy. I have 11 turkey eggs my boyfriend found them while he was lanscaping. The mother was there but they didnt see her and accidently plowed through a bush where she was sitting on them.She never came back . My boyfriend went back and brought the eggs home. we put them in a incubator 99.5 degrees with water for humidity. This was April 30, 2012 in massachusette it been two days that they been in the incubator. How will we know if they are fertile? Candled them we see nuttin. Please help! Thanks!
Did you candle them before you put them in the incubator? Did you see anything?

My (atleast one) of my turkeys been laying for three weeks now with no added light. Weather has been cold like in mass and we have been putting them in our new bator as well. We are newbies to hatching and just following this thread. Just wondering why we are getting eggs now during the winter without artificial light.

Back
Top Bottom