TruGreen and Ducklings

kkrs

In the Brooder
May 30, 2016
Hi! I'm new here, and I'm also a new and nervous duck parent. We have trugreen spray our front lawn, but last week they also sprayed my back lawn... I am wondering if it is safe for my 2.5 week old ducklings to go outside for a bit. We have had a week of on again off again rain. I don't want anything to happen to them, but the need to get out of the brooder for a bit and do duck things. Someone is going to ask me what they sprayed - I have zero idea... I'm assuming weeds and fertilizer. Please help out a rookie duck owner. I want to do this right!

I wouldn't consider it safe for a long time.
We almost had a small dog die when he went out after a lawn was sprayed. I'm sure he didn't eat as much grass and the ducks would.

Thank you for responding! I cannot believe that about your dog! I'm glad that she is ok. Trugreen said that it was their mistake. They told me that it was safe for the ducks - I just don't believe it with the little foraging and snacking. I will wait a bit. Poor things want to get out to play.

If you want to get them out of the brooder for a bit I suggest letting them swim in the tub for a while. 15 minutes of swimming will be great exercise.

If you have an area inside that can be easily cleaned, let them run around there for a bit until you can get them outside to play

I doubt TruGreen uses any organic fertilizers. At the very least it would be nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium if not other trace elements plus likely a herbicide - which would be poison.

Again thank you! Do you know how long to wait before the coast is clear? They have been in my bathtub several times this week. I'd like to move them outdoors in a week or so - the weather is nice enough, and oh the mess these little angels create!

Back
Top Bottom