Seasonmomma

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 19, 2014
Baja, AZ
I know you should never NEVER run the self clean cycle on an oven when you have birds of any sort, or hatching eggs, in the house.

My question needs a little background first.

I’m going to try to hatch eggs next month or the month after, duck more specifically, not that it should matter I don’t think. The kids and I are excited! But I have some concerns.

About a month ago, the baking element on my oven broke, since the oven was way past its prime, it was replaced. Oh my good golly that new oven smell is horrible! So things are fine and dandy, until my crickets start dying and doing weird, legs backwards, creepy movements. The crickets are for my chameleons, otherwise I’d be more than happy to have them die if they’re in my house.

I don’t recall having this problem with the crickets before the new oven, only after when that new stench filled my house. And I’ve still never used the cleaning cycle!

Now my question is... can even having a NEW oven cause hatching eggs, chicks, or birds, to die? I don’t want to buy eggs and them end up being a waste cause my house is filled with toxic fumes, even after I’ve been using my oven, a LOT! And the house has been aired out several times, all day long as long as weather permitted.

Are crickets the canary of the bird world? Or am I just unlucky with them? (Also, I’ve bought them from three different locations, and they’ve all been transported in numerous different types of containers, plastic bags like from Petsmart, paper bags, even cardboard boxes, not sure if that helps.)

Thank you!

My parrot hasn't died from our new oven, nor none of my parakeets. We attempted to run our self clean on it a few weeks back but my husband went a bit nuts about the fumes and we stopped it. The parrot is still alive, and didn't seem to mind it.

You do need to be careful not to burn non stick Teflon pans, but I don't believe the oven is coated in Teflon. Read your manual if you are concerned or call the manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom