The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

But Malays of any kind also don't lay blue-shelled eggs. The trait hiding in a line for any amount of time is highly unlikely as it is a dominant trait. Coupled with him not really looking like a pure Malay (or weirdly being the only one you've hatched that has all this variation you describe when the rest of your Malays more or less look like Malays) kinda indicates that another breed tainted your line at some point.

As far as the preen gland thing goes, several of my Cochin bantams have double preen glands and they are not oriental games. Oriental game is in the background of several common breeds, and a recessive trait, especially one impacting a part of the body that most people don't even look at unless there's a problem with it, sometimes not even then, is much more likely to go sight unseen in a line for many generations. That just isn't enough evidence that he's pure and you should know this as much as the rest of us.

You yourself have admitted you had your Malays in a mixed flock with other roosters when Long was hatched, so you absolutely cannot rule out him being a mix no matter how much you want to. An honest and logically-thinking breeder would look at that bird, look at all the facts, and think, yeah, he's most likely a mix-up, but to you it's always a throw back or a mutation. Then you blast pictures everywhere like it's fact and mislead people instead of being honest and saying, look, this is what I think but it is weird so could also be this instead. And when others point out that something's not right with your logic, you get defensive, you argue, and you cherry-pick sentences out of sources that don't actually prove your point. This is not the behavior of an educator or an expert of any kind. It's just... sad. 🙁 It's okay to be wrong sometimes, trust me, I definitely know! Learning from your mistakes is much better than doubling down on them and spreading misinformation.

Crossed back to a Malay, I assume, so it makes sense that he would regain more of those Malayoid traits even if only three-quarters Malay. Also, I'm sure you're aware, but he's got a pretty bad hip deformity and duck foot so probably should not be bred forward. 😬
Not gonna argue further, but my only Easter Egger rooster at the time is Silver which makes it impossible for him to be father. But I'll let you keep believing what you want.

Get yourself actual Indian Malays, & actually work with them.

Son had an injury, of the pelvis.

Last edited:
Also the fact you said that you have some Cochin Bantams with double preen glands, is probably because they are an Asian breed, & more likely to have it.

It's a recessive trait, not dominant. I've already asked about it.

What a pretty baby! 😍 Yes, as Troyer said, dun is a partial dominant like blue, so expresses if any copies are present. I can definitely see why you would think dun with that coloring, though. I see the resemblance!

Remind me, what colors were the parents? You were saying possibly Bobtail Cochin and what color Modern Games?

Bobtail is... weird. I can't find any straight answers about what it is. Is it sexlinked? Autosomal? Is it fully recessive? Related to albinism? To recessive white? Silver? Is it based on birchen? On partridge? There's a million posts about it that each say a different thing. Baffling. Maybe I just need to get some Bobtails and do some test crosses for myself. 🤔
Bobtail IS weird! There are a lot of variants hidden under the bobtail coloring from what I am gathering…but I have seen them come from some chocolate pairings in the past. And I know chocolate interacts with blue as well…and the modern game are Lemon Blues…so I am thinking it is something related to the blues interacting with something else so maybe chocolate? People keep telling me he looks like a lemon blue and I’m seeing things if I don’t see that it’s a blue baby. I don’t see blue at all in this baby…so I’m feeling either blind or nuts. 🤪 I think you should get bobtails too! Help us figure out the genetic mystery! I can’t wait to see what a modern game Cochin looks like 😆

Not gonna argue further, but my only Easter Egger rooster at the time is Silver which makes it impossible for him to be father. But I'll let you keep believing what you want.

Interesting how that's not what you've said before when discussing this bird. But sure. I will keep believing what the facts are telling me. 🙂

As far as the cockerel goes, a pelvis injury does not explain the duck foot, though. Cull that before you really get it in your line, it's reportedly a recessive gene and it'll be a pain to breed out later. Or don't, honestly, it's your birds. :idunno

Also the fact you said that you have some Cochin Bantams with double preen glands, is probably because they are an Asian breed, & more likely to have it.

It's a recessive trait, not dominant. I've already asked about it.

Which is exactly my point. A recessive trait, especially one involving a part of the anatomy that is hidden from normal view and not often ever looked at, can hide for generations. And breeds outside of oriental games can have the trait, so it is not unique to them. Considering the nature of Easter-eggers is that they have no standard and are often mixed with other breeds, they could be hiding any number of weird genes like that. It's just not adding up to absolute confirmation of this bird's purity.

At any rate, I've once again tried to reason with you to no avail, so I think I'll call it a day on that. 🙂

Bobtail IS weird! There are a lot of variants hidden under the bobtail coloring from what I am gathering…but I have seen them come from some chocolate pairings in the past. And I know chocolate interacts with blue as well…and the modern game are Lemon Blues…so I am thinking it is something related to the blues interacting with something else so maybe chocolate? People keep telling me he looks like a lemon blue and I’m seeing things if I don’t see that it’s a blue baby. I don’t see blue at all in this baby…so I’m feeling either blind or nuts. 🤪 I think you should get bobtails too! Help us figure out the genetic mystery! I can’t wait to see what a modern game Cochin looks like 😆

It could be! Honestly, my best explanation so far is it's bobtail genetics being weird. 🤭 I really should get some Bobtails. I have visions of silkied Bobtails in my future 😍 But I also really want to focus on my silkied BBS and get them good and solid before I get too crazy with the side projects.

I am excited to see what this mix ends up looking like, though! It'll be a Cochin on stilts! 🤣

Game Bird colors are so very interesting.

1000005281.jpg

I don't believe so. Legbars, in my experience, are quite prolific layers, so at the very least I don't think they carry any genes for reduced production even if there was some kind of linkage there. Birds with fibro tend to be fancier breeds not bred for production, so any kind of connection there to lower productivity is likely just coincidental. But I don't know this for a fact, of course, I'm only basing this on what I have or haven't heard about the genes. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom